━━ TWENTY-SEVEN

[ act iii - the healed heart ]
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
( for the last time )

     IVAR SAT IN THE GREAT HALL ALONE, HIS EYES STARING at one particular spot with memories from a few nights ago swirling in his head

IVAR SAT IN THE GREAT HALL ALONE, HIS EYES STARING at one particular spot with memories from a few nights ago swirling in his head. His fingers trailed mindlessly around the rim of his cup, his other hand gripping the wooden arm of the chair he sat on. He thought about Althea, the way her body looked, and the way she was the only woman to ever make him feel like that.

Ivar heard she had left earlier this morning with her son. In her stead, he could hear Porunn barking orders to people outside. She was training them, training Althea's army. One that should be his, under his command.

Althea had given him her word one she broke, which angered him. Just because she had a child now did not mean she could go back on her word. If Ivar was being honest he had thought about taking her throne but he knew that she would end him right then and there. Ivar knew he could not kill her, he could not bring himself to do it. Which angered him even more.

So instead he devised a plan, a plan that would bring her to the battlefield one way or another. It did not matter if it was her whole army or just her, but she would be on the battlefield regardless. No matter what she told him now she would be there on his side, fighting with him or the opposing side where he would face her head-on.

Because no one gives their word and decides differently if it is up to Ivar. She would rue the day she crossed Ivar the Boneless. Until then he would use her, or so he thought. In all honesty, Althea was using him. For whatever reason, that was because even she was not quite sure why she was using him.

Maximus and Torsten walked into the great hall, they were talking quietly to themselves. Which Ivar had found out was Princess Althea's bodyguard. They called him Torsten the Terror, which he earned on the battlefield fighting with Ivar's father. Ragnar gave the man the name himself, which Torsten wore with pride.

Ivar remembered Torsten from when he was younger. Ivar tilted his head as he watched the men enter. His eyes landed on Maximus. The Christian that Althea cared for deeply as if he were her own brother. Ivar hated Christians with a passion and hated Maximus even more, knowing he was Althea's, right-hand man. Over anyone else of course.

Ivar rolled his eyes once they noticed him, "Prince Ivar." Maximus spoke as he bowed slightly.

"Christian." Ivar replied sarcastically a small smirk on his face.

"We did not know you would be here, we will leave." Maximus spoke. Ivar took notice that Torsten said nothing, but he could see the deadly look Torsten gave him. Which for now Ivar chose to ignore.