━━ TWENTY-SIX

[ act iii -  revenge will be sweet ]
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
( something awaits )

     IVAR WOKE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, GASPING FOR AIR AS he sat up, his breathing ragged

IVAR WOKE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, GASPING FOR AIR AS he sat up, his breathing ragged. It was as if he saw his life flash before his eyes in a dream. A dream that seemed so real, he truly thought he died at the hands of his half-brother Bjorn.

He saw it all, the civil war that was to come, that if he left now he would die. Stabbed in the back as Ivar's army fell around him. His hands gripped the furs around him. He could not leave now, for he was sure that he would die. The door to his room pushed open as the woman he was in love with rushed in. Althea stopped when she saw him, her eyes ran across the tattoos on his chest. He looked up at her confused.

"I heard screaming... I thought something happened." She said softly, it was then he noticed her sword in her hand. She had to play her part perfectly.

Ivar shook his head, "No.. nothing like that." He said as he finally caught his breath. He could feel the sweat drip down his back.

"I apologize then." She spoke as she turned to leave. She gripped the hilt of her sword in her hand, causing her knuckles to turn white.

"W-Wait..." Ivar called after her.

Althea stopped her hand on the door as she turned slightly. "Yes?"

"I had a dream that Bjorn stabbed me in the back..." Ivar breathed in deeply, "That I lost this war. And that I was forgotten."

Althea turned fully to face him. "Is this the first time you've had this dream?" She questioned. Ivar shook his head as he looked down.

"Is that why you have not left yet?" Althea asked as she placed her sword by the door before walking over to him.

Ivar nodded slowly, "I do not want to die. Or be forgotten."

Althea sighed as she sat down on his bed, her back straight and he eyes staring at him, "Ivar, everyone knows you. They fear you, Ivar the Boneless. Just as they do me." She placed her hand on his thigh comfortingly, "Your name will be echoed for eternity and you will not be forgotten."

"You should not fear death, Ivar. It is coming whether we know it or not. It is better to greet death as an old friend rather than fear it." She whispered. "It is alright to be afraid, just do not let your fear control your life, for you will never live your life fully."

Ivar had put off leaving for two months now. Althea did not realize it was because he was afraid. They talked a lot every day, but he never told her his fears and why he chose not to leave yet. Ivar did not just stay because he was afraid, he wanted to be close to her now that she was over Gunnar. After all, she had told him maybe someday something would happen. She looked at him as he processed what she said.