━━ TWENTY-FOUR

[ act iii - revenge will be sweet ]
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
( new beginnings and sad goodbyes )

     SIX MONTHS HAD PAST SINCE ALTHEA WAS ATTACKED AND HER son was cut out of her - being ultimately born

SIX MONTHS HAD PAST SINCE ALTHEA WAS ATTACKED AND HER son was cut out of her - being ultimately born. Many things had changed and yet still no word from Ivar. Ubbe was still in Vingulmark meaning the civil war had yet to start. Spring was finally here, the season most of the people waited for.

The city was bustling as people far and wide came to buy and sell their goods. Althea stood at the top of the steps of the great hall as she looked down, her son on her hip. Althea's heart had slowly healed and was then filled by the love of her son. Every day he looked more and more like Gunnar except for his hair, which was as white as hers. Everything else radiated Gunnar.

Torsten stood behind her, his hands placed behind his back as his head was held high. Since his failure to protect her that night, he had not left her side since then. No matter the day or time. He was always there even more now that she had a child. He watched as her people stared at her with adoration and love.

The sun shined brightly as Ubbe and Maximus had begun their walk up the stairs talking about more defenses they could add to the city's walls. Which Althea did not understand why Ubbe stayed, she knew that he must miss his home but she also knew Lagertha lied to him about his wife. Instead of returning, Ubbe had decided to stay for now.

Ubbe's eyes landed on the boy in Althea's arms, "How is Prince Hakon today?" he asked as he squeezed his chubby little thigh with his fingers, causing the child to let out a laugh. Ubbe smiled as Prince Hakon threw himself toward Ubbe to be held by him.

"Well then," Althea laughed slightly as she handed her son to Ubbe, she watched as Hakon looked up at Ubbe smiling widely at him.

Althea leaned forward and kissed his forehead. "If he becomes too much trouble just hand him to a wet nurse until I return. I should not be very long." She spoke as she looked from Maximus to Ubbe. " Keep my son safe." She spoke, as Maximus bowed to her.

Althea's feet carried her down the steps with grace, her dress dragging behind her as Torsten followed. She wore the same blue dress she wore the day Ubbe arrived. In this light it made her skin seem to glow. Althea walked the path she used to take to the hut that once belonged to her. She veered to the left reaching the small almost hidden pathway that went into the forest.

She hummed softly as she walked, the birds flying low to the ground. Her right hand was off to the side as the tall grass brushed up against her hand as she walked. She stopped once she reached the stream that was hidden from the city. The grass was so tall now it reached her waist.

Torsten smirked slightly as he continued to walk until he was directly behind her, his arm snaking its way around her waist pulling her to him. Her eyes had closed as he leaned down and whispered in her ear all the things he wanted and was going to do to her.