21

(Steve POV) 

"Drivin' to therapy," I sing softly to myself. "Gonna meet Dr. Raynor, hopefully you've only told her good things about me..." 

I glance over at Bucky, who has his lips pressed together in a guilty little smile.

"Yeah," he says agreeably. "Let's say that I have." 

Obviously, I wouldn't blame him if it turns out he hasn't told her any good things about me. I hadn't been very good to him during the last bit of our time together before he moved out. That guilt eats at me all the time. The thought that I'm worse than some of his handlers have been is often what keeps me up at night nowadays. I promised I would protect him, but then it turned out I was the one he needed protecting from.

But we're working past all of that. He insists he forgives me, even if I don't deserve it. Sometimes I think he just says that because he doesn't want to argue. 

"Does she like me very much? Just based on anything she's heard?"

"Well, she's a government issued therapist-" What? "- so she already knows all about you, but as Captain America. Captain America, she likes. Captain America stands for honor and justice and all things that are good." 

"And what about Steve Rogers?" I press.

He tucks his chin into his chest, ashamed of what he's about to say. 

"Steve Rogers hit me with a frying pan." 

Yep, still working past it. 

"So she doesn't like me," I summarize. 

"She doesn't like your actions." 

Why do I care so much if Bucky's therapist likes me? I should be focused on whether or not Bucky likes me.

And it's not like he cares about her opinion! He's been complaining about this appointment all morning. For hours, all I heard from him was, "I was done with therapy!" 

"Why do you have to see Dr. Raynor again?" I ask, just to get him started on his therapy rant. It's kind of funny, okay? 

"Because Walker was the one who got the mandate lifted in the first place, and now that he's gone off the rails, they were like, 'Hey, we don't trust that guy's judgment anymore!' and now I have to have court mandated sessions with Dr. Raynor again."

"Dr. Whitmore also said you should go back to therapy," I remind him, making a sharp turn into the parking lot and putting the car in park. 

He glares hatefully at the building before kicking his door open and exiting the vehicle. 

"I'm excited to meet her," I say, trying to add a touch of optimism in our lives.

"Yeah, I'm excited to see her yell at you the way she yells at me," he grumbles, shoving a gloved hand into his pocket and heading towards the door. 

-- 

"You must be Steve." Dr. Raynor identifies in a friendly enough tone.

"Yes, I am." 

Bucky chooses to forgo any greeting and heads straight for the little sofa on one side of the room.

"I'm Dr. Raynor. I've heard so much about you, it's so nice to finally meet you." 

"She doesn't mean that," Bucky contradicts. 

She gestures for me to take a seat, and so I do. She sits down in a chair across from Bucky and me, grabbing a notebook and a pen as she does.

"We haven't even started," Bucky says as Dr. Raynor flips to a clean page.

"Relax, James, I'm just making a note." She then turns to address me. "James is currently living with you, is that correct?"