23

(personally I feel like I've been doing very well with updating this. I mean, four in the span of two weeks sure is a lot better than I've done, like, ever. It's a super duper short one, but an update nonetheless.)

(Steve POV) 

"This movie takes place right around when the Nazis took over Austria," I explain to Bucky as I put The Sound of Music on the TV. "That's not really important until the second half, though, and there's actually a pretty good spot halfway through the movie where you can end it if you don't want to watch the second half-" 

"Steve, I killed Nazis," he interrupts with a small, but cheeky, smile. "I think I can watch a movie with Nazis in it."

"It's also three hours long." 

"We got time." 

"I'm gonna make hot chocolate." I say this for two reasons. The first being that hot chocolate sounds great right now, and the second being that I don't really want to watch the really long intro of the movie where it just shows a bunch of gorgeous Austrian scenery for a million years. It's pretty, but kind of boring. Bucky doesn't seem to mind, though. 

When the hot chocolate is ready, I head back to the sofa where Bucky is and hand him his mug, then sit down right as the camera finally pans to Maria and she starts singing.

After she leaves the monastery and arrives at Captain Von Trapp's gigantic house, Bucky asks me, "Where is this supposed to be?" 

"Austria. Salzburg, specifically." 

"Why is everyone British?" 

"I couldn't tell ya." 

He sighs heavily, unsatisfied with my answer. He manages to keep quiet, though, until intermission, which is right after Maria leaves the Von Trapp house because she doesn't want Captain Von Trapp to love her.

"That was a pretty good scene to end the movie?" he asks judgily. "She left! That's not an ending at all. You couldn't possibly end the movie here; there's more of the story to be told!"

"That wasn't the scene I meant," I say placatingly. "Are you enjoying the movie?" 

"Yes." 

We fall silent again as the intermission ends and the movie picks back up. As time goes on, the sun goes down and while it's dark and a little hard to tell, I swear I see Bucky start crying during the song Something Good.

I miss when I got to see his softer side all of the time. The last time he was really like that with me was back in the forties.

I put my arm on the back of the couch- an invitation which he takes, leaning closer and dropping his head onto my shoulder. 

"I missed you," I whisper, though I'm unsure if he can hear me over the movie. I feel his head shift on my shoulder, so I turn my own towards him. Our faces are close like this. 

"Really?" His beautiful eyes blink up at me with uncertainty, face illuminated by the light from the TV. It feels like an arrow in my heart to know that I've given him reason to doubt me. 

"Really," I confirm, then to try to solidify my truth, I echo our age old promise. "End of the line, right?" 

"End of the line," he agrees. He says it in such a soft, genuine manner that it lifts a weight off my chest that I didn't even realize I was carrying, might have been carrying it for so long I stopped noticing. Instead, that weight is replaced by hope that we are going to get better.

It's replaced by the confidence I needed, and with it I propel myself forward and close the space between us.

(THERE YOU FUCKING GO. ITS HERE. CELEBRATE.)