Chapter-2

Vedansh

The girl in the middle of the fight

That fucking bastard dared to go this far. My body vibrates from the rage that's building in it. With the amount of violence in my life, it's hard for someone like me to dream of becoming a doctor. I tried this hard to get here. How can I mess this up? My fingers curl into a fist and my teeth clench hard enough for my gums to resist the pressure. I am sure this wouldn't go down well but I can't lose my stance.

I dart forward, throwing my fist in the air. It slams into Kiran's cheek, making him sway for a moment before he regains his posture. He immediately tries to throw a punch back, but I block it before he could even touch me and kick him in the pelvis, which makes him drop to the ground, his hands clutching his midsection.

He should've never got me this angry. I know the human body better than he does. I realize that people gathered around us, but that was the least of my concerns. As Kiran hits the ground, I plan to release another kick to his abdomen, but before I could execute the plan, something crashes into me, making me lose my balance. 

My first thought is to push it away, but I soon realize it's a girl. I look at her for about a second before I saw Kiran coming at me. He regained his balance and is charging toward me. He probably didn't notice the girl lying above me. Kiran never hits a girl. He's just that blinded by emotions. He'd regret it if he ends up hurting her. As sweet as that sounds to me, I can't let an innocent get hurt for my pleasure either.

The girl looks behind her and notices Kiran coming at us, but instead of rolling off of me to escape from the hit, she places herself right on top of me with her other hand on my shoulder as if to protect me, which shocks me out of my mind. What the... My mind went blank for a moment, wondering why she would protect me, but my reflexes were quick enough to take action. I immediately push her down and shield her with my body. Kiran's fist lands on my shoulder blade and pain shoots into my body. The pain almost makes me want to lie down, but that could really suffocate the girl under me. 

I open my eyes to see if she is safe to find her looking at me. That's when I really look at her. Her long eyelashes proudly stand around her chocolate-brown eyes. Her medium-wavy hair spread around her head like a ball of fire. She looked at me as if she's afraid for me. That was new. People usually look at me like they are afraid of me, not for me. For a moment, I forget the scorching pain in my shoulder. But as the pain forces me to snap out of my thoughts, I get myself up. 

The girl places a hand on my shoulder and pushes herself up. I can see that her friend's trying to pull her away. The girl keeps looking back until she rounded the medical building, her wavy hair swaying around her head. She looked like a curious puppy who got a bone to hide. Wait. That's a weird comparison. I shake my head to clear my thoughts.

I hold my shoulder and walk myself to the campus hospital. Kiran must've realized that he almost hit a girl as he stayed away from me for the time being. That was a good choice or I don't know what I would've done to him. As I got my shoulder examined, all kinds of thoughts ran through my head. It was the first time in my life that someone weaker than me tried to protect me with no regard for themselves. Why would someone shield a stranger instead of protecting themselves first? It was strange but also interesting. 

It wasn't as if we knew each other. We were complete strangers and were in a dangerous situation. Her first instinct is to protect me. I can see that she was scared out of her mind when she realized the blow was aimed at me. I shook my head to get rid of those thoughts. It is useless to think about it now. It's already done and both of us are safe.