Chapter-4

Aadhira

I leave the classes taking out my phone to call Amara and talk about what happened this morning. The way Keshav hung up on me was not normal, but he usually does it when he's too embarrassed or shy, but today, it seemed more like an annoyance. What was he annoyed about? When he called me, asking why I didn't attend classes, I was happy to think it was because he missed me, even if it is just a little bit. But then he hangs up and I am left with a churning gut and a bundle of nerves.

I look up to check if there is anyone closely walking in front of me so that I don't bump into anyone, and my vision catches unto a burgundy shirt disappearing into the staircase. Was that Keshav? It's his shirt, right? I shake my head and walk towards the staircase to find no one. Maybe it was just a figment of my imagination because my head's been filled up with him these days. I laugh at my stupidity and take off for my room.

When I get back to my room, the sound of Amara's crazy laugh stops me in my tracks. I wonder what made her turn into a crazy person today. Every day, she finds a new reason to go crazy. I enter the room to see her lying on her stomach, talking to someone on the phone. She hangs up after a minute, as she notices me in the room, and by the time the old Amara comes back to herself, I am already taking out my books and arranging them on my desk. We decided on which desk to choose at the beginning of the first Sem, and I chose the one directly in front of the window, while she took the one closest to her bed. Trust me, it doesn't surprise me anymore why someone would give up the window as I now know how lazy she is. The closest desk to your bed is the fastest way to go to sleep. I shake my head as the thought brings out all kinds of memories from the past Sem where I found out just how lazy a person could be. There was one time when she hung her dresses over the bedpost so she could reach for them faster in the morning in case she woke up late. I smile at the memory. It was a good time when we bond over the smallest of interests and make a pact out of our friendship. As I think about it more, Amara's voice brings me back to my room.

"Are you done with your classes?" she asks.

"Yes. And you seemed to be quite involved in the conversation there." I say, referring to her phone call just now.

"Aah! He is someone I met in the cafeteria. Nothing important." She says even as she blushes and it was so rare to see her blush that I immediately take out my phone to capture the moment Amara Chakrabarti flushes like a tomato. Amara takes off to grab my phone, but I am quick to slip it into my back pocket and hold Amara at an arm's length. It was so interesting to see her lose her cool.

"You're blushing. What have you been up to Amara? You look like a red carpet" I smile as I imagine trampling on the carpet. That was dark. But she is so cute while blushing, do you ever feel like crushing those cute puppies into a hug, the ones that are so small in size yet energetic?

"That's such a sadistic comparison. And delete that photo right this moment." She says as anger etches her feature and she reaches for my back pocket from the front, only to end up holding me like a boa constrictor.

I push her away and say, "I am sorry, but I don't take orders from you, girl." Even though she seems a little high on anger, I smile at her gently and continue, my voice getting softer. "Also, it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to catch your blush on a camera. You will thank me later when you show your children these pictures of your youth."

After a while, even though she's still unhappy about the picture, she drops the topic. Then I take a seat by her side on the bed and tell her all about the weird conversation I had with Keshav this morning. As soon as I complete, Amara fumes about the situation as if I didn't just anger her, ready to defend me. That's what makes me like her more. No matter what mistakes I do, she still defends me like a friend, as nothing will ever change the fact that we're friends.