Chapter-1

Aadhira

The Confession.

"Amara, hand me the shampoo," I say with a firm yet gentle voice.  

"Don't be so stingy, Aadhira. It's just a shampoo." Amara says with a sheepish smile. I don't trust that smile. At all. 

"It's not just a shampoo. It's the Loreal Professional Serie Expert Gold Quinoa + Protein Absolut Repair Shampoo." 

"I agree it's a good one. But it's not that costly." 

"Sure, it's not costly, but it's 3rd bottle that you're taking from me. If you like it so much, just get one yourself." 

"But I just bought a laptop cooling pad, and it cost me dearly. I can't use the remaining on irrelevant expenses." 

"Do you think I am rich? I am using up my allowances too much on this. If I can't use this shampoo for the next 2 or 3 months, I won't be able to purchase it again. Also, if you're tight on money and think a shampoo is an irrelevant expense, then buy something cheaper. I already shared 2 bottles with you in the past month. Look at this container." I point at the shampoo bottle that'll be my only hair product for the next few months. "Do you think it can last if used by two people?" 

"Fine. You win. But at least, let me use it until I buy a new one." Amara says with a scowl. 

"No. I'll let you use it until the end of the week. After that, you are on your own. Whether you buy one by then is your choice." I am trying so hard not to smile. I don't mind her using the shampoo. But if I use up too much money, I may really go broke and I really don't want to ask my parents for money within just a month into the second semester. 

Coldhearted. She mouths. Whatever. I mouth back. We then take a shower, separately, as if nothing happened, and get ready to leave for classes.  

Classes have started right after the registration and Keshav's class and mine ended up across from each other. I introduced myself to him soon after and he's shy as hell to talk to girls. I have observed that he doesn't talk much, especially with girls, though he has a lot of admirers like Amara mentioned. Even a few of the seniors have approached him. After introducing myself to him more than once and trying to interact with him about a dozen times he started talking back, and we've been friends ever since.

I know it sounds like I am shameless. Absolutely not. It's just that I find him fascinating. I enter the UB, where the first-year classes occur. My room number is 504 while Keshav's is 505.  

I wait for him on the second-floor staircase. There is this huge ramp that takes us directly from the ground to the second floor and from there we can either take stairs or elevators. We can also take stairs or elevators to the second floor but I prefer the ramp because stairs take up energy and elevators are crowded. So, I usually wait for him here so we can take the stairs together. 

After a few minutes, I spot Keshav coming towards me and shake my hand to show that I'm here. 

"Hi, what's your first class today?" I ask, to make a small conversation. 

"It's programming using Matlab," he replies. 

We continue to talk until we reach the classroom. As he's about to go into his classroom, I call him. 

"Let's meet in the cafeteria after the classes." he nods and disappears into the classroom while I stand in the corridor, trying to slow down my racing heart.