Stay

Akshara had spent the afternoon deep in the archives, uncovering old papers and newspapers. Taking photos and scanning documents where necessary. She had them all saved on a USB that never left her wallet. And over the past couple of weeks, she had managed to backload a large amount of data.

She was on the lookout for any sources of fraudulence and particularly focused on anything that stood out prior to the past five years.

She bit her lip, she knew why.

Because Abhi started as the CEO five years ago.

Closing her eyes, she let guilt consume her remembering his smile just hours earlier.

Here he was comforting and supporting her and here she was destroying his entire life.

She did have a master stroke planned, they had a big deal, the MH deal, that was about to be signed. And Akshara had all the data to leak it out to the system anonymously.

But she was trying her best to find something that would not directly hurt him.

She had watched everyone work tirelessly on the MH deal. It was the biggest deal for the company. Every member had dedicated time and work to it. It would draw Birla Enterprises and all its investors to new heights. Bring them new success.

So here she was trying to search for something else.

She knew no matter what he would wound up hurt, but she could at least try and save him from public humiliation and added stress.

Her phone beeped, reminding her that it was time to go home.

Their date.

***

Dressed in a knee-length white linen dress with a tortoise-coloured belt, Akshara gasped as she took in the scene in front of her. She'd arrived at the place that Abhimanyu had texted her, insisting that she drive to reach the scene.

It was a summer night with a cool breeze, the storm in Mumbai had finally settled down allowing for more opportunities to sit outside and appreciate the city.

Looking on at the scene in front of her, Akshara felt her heart give out.

She'd arrived on the top of a well-lit hill, that provided a spectacular view of Marine Drive. It was well-lit enough that it was safe but away from people at such a distance that it provided privacy and intimacy.

And the scene that had caught her throat in a lump was Abhimanyu, who was busy setting up the dining table in the middle with cutlery. Surrounding the table was an old record player playing music and he lit up the entire scene with fairy lights and rose petals. No candlelights she noted, he had instantly picked up on her fear of fire it seemed.

She knew. She knew just how easily he could have asked someone to arrange this on his behalf. She also knew how it would have been for him to hire out or rent out an extravagant space or five-star restaurant.

But no, he was Abhimanyu. He read her so well. He knew the way she appreciated the effort. And the way her inner child craved simplicity. Not the fanciness she had adorned herself in. No deep down, she was the same Akshara as twelve years ago.

So he had done everything himself. Arranged everything himself.

And kept it simple but enchanting. Reminding her of the Akshara that existed inside of her twelve years ago.

"Abhi" she whispered, thinking it was to herself but clearly not because Abhimanyu looked up straight away. Wiping his hands quickly with the biggest grin she had ever witnessed, he walked down to her.