The light is here

A few months later, Abhimanyu and Akshara had fallen into a nice little balance. Abhimanyu spent the day deep in his work at Birla Enterprises. Now that his Father had returned, at first, it took some time, and they were no doubt awkward around each other. But after one night where they shed tears, sharing their favourite memories of Manjari, all walls slowly started breaking. They'd bonded over work of course but both had made an effort to spend time with each other.

Akshara had been proud, it was easy to remain bitter especially when you were left alone and isolated but Abhimanyu had moved on, telling her that he knew life was short and he wanted to cherish the time he had.

With his dedication, he had grown Birla Enterprises to even higher extremes, breaking the international market that Birla Enterprises had become a global name. And Akshara had been immensely proud, cheering him on.

She herself continued to do some work at Birla Enterprises because as Abhimanyu told her, she was damn good at what she did.

But the truth is that her heart and soul called for spending more time at Leelavathi Foundation, so much so, that she had started doing a minor degree in education so she could assist with the education of the children.

Abhimanyu was immensely proud of her and felt himself fall in love with her over and over, telling everyone he met about the girl he was head over heels in love with. Their sat her photo in his wallet, permanently. His heart. His home.

They had fallen into rituals... like a family. Breakfast with Rosie, Dalbir, Gayatri, and Harshvardan every fortnight, Falooda on cold Mumbai nights, rock climbing when they had the chance, and trips to their oasis in Goa.

The love was endless.

And the passion.

That was something completely different.

Although Akshara insisted on still staying with Rosie at the haveli, she might as well be living with Abhimanyu because she found herself staying over most days and nights.

And her nights, her nights were always filled with him.

Their passionate lovemaking as they lived out their deepest fantasies.

Akshara was a seductress but Abhimanyu was no little, perhaps even more.

And all around there was bliss.

Happy days.

After the years of trauma, they had endured.

The light was here.

With one thing left to do.

***

One night, Akshara was staying late in the night at Leelavathi Foundation, putting some finishing touches on the educational material. Abhimanyu had told her he would be away the whole day for a business conference and would be back tomorrow. Pouting, she turned to face her phone, he could at least text right. Here she was waiting restlessly to hear from him.

Sighing she turned her vision back to the educational material when Chotu came and tugged on her cardigan.

She leaned down and cupped his cheek... "Done with your piano lesson baccha... what is it?" she asked him proudly.

He smiled cheekily and ran behind her, covering her eyes in a blindfold.

"Didi... come with me" he smiled.

"Arre..." Akshara began to complain as he grabbed her hand, leading her out into the courtyard, "Chotu.. careful beta.. I can not see" she told him.

"Didi just wait..." he smiled.

And then a second later he was gone.

"Chotu... chotu" Akshara called.

Sighing she began to untie the blindfold he had covered her eyes with. "Some of you kids have gotten so naughty" she laughed to herself.. "wait until I get you"

She took off the blindfold, shaking her head and then turning around.

Letting out an enormous gasp, she paused taking in the sight before her. Her hands covered her mouth as she processed what was happening.

Millions of fairy lights were spread out over the courtyard mirroring the stars that were twinkling in the sky above with the moonlight shining below as if it were blessing them also.

And in the middle was her Abhimanyu.

Down on one knee.

Looking as handsome as ever.

As he gave her a boyish grin.

"Akshara.... my love... my heart... I knew it as a child but I know for certain now, you are my whole entire life... meri golu. Would you make me the luckiest man alive.... will you marry me?" Abhimanyu proposed, with the most beautiful ring she had ever seen.

She was already a teary mess. The tears had started falling the instant she had seen him.

And then she nodded, shaking her head up and down rapidly.

"Yes.. yes... yes!!!" she cried, jumping up and down as he slid the ring over her finger.

And somewhere in the distance, she heard cheers.

A mixture of Rosie, Dalbir, Gayatri, and Harshvardan. Her family.

And all the kids cheering, "DIDI SAID YES!"

Abhimanyu picked her up and twirled her around, both of them laughing in happiness.

The last chapter my loves, thank you so much for being on this journey with me. I can not tell you how much I have enjoyed it. This story was a challenge for me so I hope it kept you engaged! 

Epilogue will be up tomorrow and it's one of my favourites. I shed tears while I was writing it!

Also, on another note... I have started writing another story... it is much shorter and different. I am not sure if  I'll be able to finish it but keep your eyes peeled. Because if I do, I will post it here.

Take care and please feel free to message me or connect with me on Twitter (ID - _nihaaa)

N x