Chapter 6

"Welcome, my dear demon slayers. Good morning everyone. It feels like a beautiful day. The sky is a perfect blue, isn't it? It makes me very happy that we can have our twice yearly hashira meeting without any members changed." Ubayashiki said. All the hashira immediately bowed down.
"Master, I sincerely pray for your increased happiness. It is good to see you so healthy," Sanemi said.
"Thank you, Sanemi," Ubayashiki said.
"I'm sorry, but before the hashira meeting, would you be so kind as to tell us about this corps member who travels with a demon, Tanjiro Kamado?" Sanemi asked.
"Yes. My apologies for surprising you. I have accepted Tanjiro and Nezuko," Ubayashiki said. "And I would like everyone else to do the same."
"Ahh... even though my master requests it... I cannot consent," Gyomei said.
"I too must stylishly oppose. I can't accept a corps member consorting with a demon," Tengen protested.
"I think we should at least give him a chance," Fumiko said.
"I will do anything you say, master!" Mitsuri said.
"No matter what happens... I'll forget right away." Muichiro said.
"I can't believe it," Iguro said. "More than anything, I  hate demons."
"Master," said Rengoku. "I respect you from the bottom of my heart, but I do not understand this. I am against it... with all my strength!"
"The demonslayer corps kills demons. Please, punish both Kamado and Tomioka," Sanemi added.
"Well then," Ubayashiki said. "The letter."
"Yes." One of the girls pulled out a piece of paper and said, "This letter arrived from former hashira Sakonji Urokodaki. I will read a portion of it. 'Please, forgive Tanjiro for being with his sister who is a demon. Through strong spiritual strength, Nezuko remains her human reason. Even when starving, she refuses to eat people. She has persisted in this way for more than two years. It is difficult to understand, but it is undeniably the truth. Should Nezuko ever attack someone, together with Tanjiro Kamado, I, Sakonji Urokodaki, and Giyu Tomioka will make amends by slicing open our stomachs."
The hashira were silent after that, until Sanemi said, "So what if he'll commit seppuku? If he wants to die he can rot! It doesn't prove a thing!"
"Shinazugawa is right!" Rengoku agreed. "If she kills and eats someone, it's irreversible! The dead won't come back!"
"That is correct," said Ubayashiki. "I cannot guarantee or confirm that she will not attack people. However... you cannot prove that she will attack people. It is a fact that Nezuko has not bitten anyone for over two years and three people have staked their lives on her. If you would reject this, then you must offer something greater than Urokodaki's promise. Furthermore, Tanjiro has crossed paths with Kibutsuji."
The hashira started yelling, but Fumiko didn't hear any of it. She was busy inside her own head. Kibutsuji? Muzan? Tanjiro has met him? Maybe if I ask him where he is I can get back to him? Maybe after 400 years we can reunite?
Ubayashiki raised his finger to his lips, and everyone fell silent. "Kibutsuji has sent his forces after Tanjiro. He may merely wish to silence him..."
No, Fumiko thought. It's because he has the same earrings as Yoriichi, the one man that almost killed him.
"It's possible Kibutsuji may have seen something unexpected in Nezuko as well. Do you understand?" Ubayashiki finished.
"No, master, I do not understand!" Sanemi yelled. "Letting a human live is one thing, but not a demon. I cannot agree. There is nothing normal about it."
What about me? Fumiko thought. Ubayashiki clearly had the same thought, as he half glanced at her, before returning to 'look' at Sanemi as he cut his arm with his sword.
"Master! Demons are ugly and untrustworthy! I'll prove it to you! Her demon! Time to eat! Come take a bite!" Sanemi taunted the demon inside the box.
"Shinazugawa..." Iguro started. "It won't work in the light. If you don't go into the shade, the demon won't come out."
"My apologies master. I serve you," Sanemi said before jumping into the shelter of the mansion.
"Nezuko!" Tanjiro yelled. "Stop it!"
He was crushed by Iguro a second later, stopping him from going any further. Sanemi stabbed the box again, then said in a mocking voice: "Come out, demon! I've got the human blood you crave!"
The next moment, the box lid flew open as a demon crawled out. Nezuko. She was huffing and puffing as she drooled at the sight of Sanemi's bleeding arm.
"Nezuko!" Tanjiro screamed as he ran, out of Iguro's grasp, towards the two in the shelter.
Time seemed to stop as Nezuko turned away from Sanemi's arm, angry.
"What happened?" Ubayashiki asked.
"The demon girl turned away," one of the girls replied. "Shinazugawa stabbed her three times then offered his bloody arm for her to feed, but she controlled herself and didn't bite it."
"In that case... Nezuko has proven she won't attack people," Ubayashiki said. Fumiko was never going to tell anyone how appetising it had looked to her as well. After Tanjiro got dismissed, Fumiko saw Shinobu open her mouth, but Fumiko wanted to ask something.
"Can Tanjiro be my tsuguko?" She asked, receiving a look from Shinobu.
"Of course," Ubayashiki said.
"Kakushi! Please take him to my place!" Fumiko ordered.
"Well, the hashira council is—" Ubayashiki started.
"Please! Wait a second! I'm not done yet! I still owe that guy with all the scars a few more headbutts! One for each time he stabbed Nezuko! I doubt headbutts are against corps rules!"
Muichiro grabbed a rock and flung it at Tanjiro, cutting him off. "Interrupting the master is considered quite rude," he said. "Hurry now. Go." With that, the kakushi hurried off.
"Tanjiro. Give my regards to Tamayo," Ubayashiki said. Tamayo? She's still alive? Fumiko thought as Tanjiro disappeared into the horizon.