Chapter 12

A few days later, the Upper Moons were called to the Infinity Castle. Fumiko watched them talk. Daki and Gyutaro were not among them. Had they really been defeated by Tengen, Tanjiro, Zenitsu and Inosuke?
"Lord Muzan has arrived," Kokushibo said, and they all looked up at Muzan pouring a liquid into different vials.
Smiling, Fumiko jumped and landed next to Muzan, waiting for him to pat her. But he didn't. She could tell that he was feeling angry, so all she did was stroke his back soothingly. It seemed to work. A little bit.
"Gyutaro is dead," he said. "The upper moons have waned."
"Oh, is that so?" Doma asked. "Well, I'm very sorry about that! I was the one who introduced Gyutaro here after all. How can I apologise to you? Will you gouge an eyeball out, or..." Fumiko looked disgusted at the prospect of gouging eyeballs out, but Muzan was still... somewhat calm.
"I don't need your eyeballs," Muzan said. "I figured Gyutaro would lose. As I expected, Daki was holding him back. Gyutaro would have won if he'd been the one fighting to begin with. He could've just poisoned them from the beginning so they couldn't keep fighting. Well... it doesn't matter anymore. He had too much humanity in him, so he lost. But that's fine too. I'm not expecting anything from you guys."
"Oh you're talking about the sad things again. Has there ever been a time when I failed to meet your expectations?" Doma asked.
"The Ubayashiki family has yet to be entombed. And what about the blue spider lily?" He asked, veins starting to pop. "Why can't we find it over hundreds of years? I... don't really know why you guys exist anymore."
"EEEP! FORGIVE US! PLEASE!" Hantengu screeched.
"I..have nothing... to say. Ubayashiki... is hiding... skilfully..." Kokushibo said.
"I'm no good at detective work myself, what can I say?" Doma added.
"Muzan-sama, I'm not like them!" Gyokko yelled. "I have some information that can get you one step closer to achieving your dreams! Just now I-"
Idiot, Fumiko thought as his head was sliced and and in Muzan's hand.
"The one thing I hate most is change," Muzan told him. "Changing circumstances, changing bodies, changing emotions. In most cases, changes cause weakness and inferiority. The one thing I like is permanence," he said, while Fumiko wondered if he liked her equally or less. "If something doesn't change for an eternity, it's in a perfect state. I am at the height of my displeasure because it's been a hundred and thirteen years since an upper moon was killed. Don't get all excited and give me information if you haven't even confirmed it yet." With that, his head was dropped to the other moons.
"From now on, you guys should serve me with even more devotion. I seem to have spoiled you all because of the mere fact you're all upper moons. Gyokko, when the information is confirmed, head over there with Hantengu." After he said that, the doors shut above them, separating then from the upper moons.
Fumiko walked forward, careful. She did not want to get on Muzan's nerves, given what happened last time.
"Muzan?" she asked tentatively.
"I haven't been this angry for a long while," Muzan said. "It's almost like that time 400 years ago. What were you saying?" He looked back at Fumiko.
"Um... could we maybe calm down a while in one of our rooms?" She asked.
"Good idea," agreed Muzan. "Let's go to my room. We can have a good, long talk in there."