Chapter 1

When I was lying there in the VA hospital, with a big hole blown through the middle of my life, I started having these dreams of flying

When I was lying there in the VA hospital, with a big hole blown through the middle of my life, I started having these dreams of flying. I was free.

Sooner or later, though, you always have to wake up.

°•°•°

Taking in a sharp breath, the eyes of a female slowly fluttered open only to grimace as her head started to lightly throb. A soft blue light filled the area she was enclosed in. The woman took a few calming breaths as her mind slowly pieced together the line of scattered memories that led her to this point.

In cryo, you don't dream at all. It doesn't feel like six years.

The woman thought to herself as the rhythmic beeping of a heart monitor filled her ears before chuckling. 

More like a fifth of tequila and an ass-kicking.

With her vitals now stabilized from the flight, the small chamber slowly realized some pressurized air before sliding open, revealing the floating body of (Y/N) Sully, ex-marine

With wonder-struck eyes, (Y/N) glanced around the long corridor, slightly shaking the straps that held her body down. 

Addi was the scientist, not me. She was the one who wanted to get shot light-years out in space to find the answers.

As the ex-marine fully exited the cryo chamber, a doctor quickly shot over, gripping the top of the door while placing his feet on the wall beside him to balance out. "Are we there yet?" (Y/N) grumbled out in a rough tone. It had been years since she last used her voice due to the length of the trip.

"Yeah, we're there, sunshine." The doctor joked as he lightly gripped her arm before patting her on the shoulder, "We're there." The woman merely nodded as a sour look fell on her face.

So, a week before Addi's gonna ship out, a guy with a gun ends her journey for the paper in her wallet.

"You've been in cryo for five years, nine months, and 22 days." The main doctor announced as the rest of the passengers took their restraints off and pushed themselves toward their designated lockers. "You will be hungry. You will be weak. If you feel nauseous, please use the sacks..."

Yeah, Addi was the scientist.

 (Y/N) thought as she pulled herself around with her arms towards the locker that read, SULLY, A.

  Me, I'm just another dumb grunt going someplace she's gonna regret.

Outside of the ship, it was dark all around. From the reflective panels secured at the end of the spacecraft, a massive, vibrant planet filled the space while a significantly smaller planet resided in front of it.

Up ahead was Pandora. You grew up hearing about it, but I never figured I'd be going there.

°•°•°

Turbulence shook the shuttle as it dove through the dark clouds of the planet's atmosphere. (Y/N)s eyes analyzed her surroundings as her hands tightly gripped the armrests below her. Beside her, a foldable wheelchair was hooked onto the wall. Great, not only am I singled out because I'm disabled, I'm stuck with a bunch of random men. It's like boot camp all over again. The woman thought before a rough voice rang out.

"Exo-packs on! Let's go! Exo-packs on!" The head pilot yelled out as he walked down the row of people. At his command, (Y/N) scrambled with her pack before tightly pressing it to her face, allowing it to pressurize fully before letting it go to tighten the straps.

"Remember, people, you lose that mask, you're unconscious in 20 seconds, and you're dead in four minutes! Let's nobody be dead today! Looks very bad on my report!" The man spoke in a loud tone as the plane slowly drifted to the ground, causing (Y/N) to take a shaky breath.

One life ends, another begins.

"Harnesses off, get your packs. Put it together, let's go! Let's go!" As people around her began to stand up, (Y/N) made sure that her things would be easily accessible for when she was going to transfer herself onto her wheelchair. "When that ramp comes downs, go directly into the base. Do not stop! Go straight inside. Wait for my mark!"

Everyone stood silently as the doors slowly opened, letting the toxic air flood the aircraft. Once the doors touched the ground, the pilot started ushering people outside.

There's no such thing as an ex-marine. You may be out, but you never lose the attitude.

The (h/c)-haired woman carefully pulled open her chair and swung her bottom half onto the seat before yanking her legs over as well. 

I told myself I could pass any test a man could pass. They can fix a spinal if you got the money.

 She thought bitterly, throwing her bag onto her back before making her way down to the platform. 

But not on vet benefits, not in this economy.

"Let's go, special case! Do not make me wait for you!" The older man yelled out, making the women scoff slightly, pushing her arms to go a bit faster. 

Back on Earth, these guys were Army dogs, Marines, fighting for freedom.

Loud stomping noises pulled the ex-marine out of her thoughts. A large mechanic body slowly trudged its way past her, causing the woman to quickly angle herself away from it.

But out here they're just hired guns, taking the money, working for the company.

The moving machine slowed its steps down as the human inside caught sight of the paralyzed woman wheeling herself across the tarmac. "Look out, hot rod." The man jeered before turning and walking away. (Y/N), for once in her life, decided to say nothing and continued on her journey to the meeting room.

Hearing the rumble of an engine coming up beside her, (Y/N) pulled herself to a stop and watched as a large dump truck drove by. She didn't much care for the contents in the truck, but more so, the arrows that protruded from the thick tires, all of them varying in color. One thing stuck out in her mind at that moment. They definitely weren't alone here.