Chapter 3

°•°•°

°•°•°

It's way too early for this, (Y/N) thought to herself as she wheeled her way into the link room with Grace and Norm walking in front of her. Beside her, the tanks that once held the avatars lay empty as two workers hosed out the inside of the compartment. Their avatars could be seen through a thick layer of glass being tended to by a few doctors.

"So, how much link time have you logged?" Grace asked as they walked towards the pods. "Uh, about 520 hours," Norm answered, almost jogging to keep up with Grace's pace. "That's good." The woman nodded before pointing over to a pod, "You're in there." She told Norm before finally addressing (Y/N), "You're here. How much have you logged?" Grace questioned as she went to set up the link.

The ex-marine carefully wheeled herself behind Grace gazing at the green mold that was supposed to hold her body. "Zip. But I read a manual." (Y/N) answered causing Grace to turn around with a deadpanned look on her face. "Tell me you're joking," Grace said. (Y/N) however paid no mind to her as she pushed her finger as deep as possible into the green mold, chuckling as it bounced back against her finger. "This is cool." She said with a smile before hoisting herself up onto the ledge of the pod, her muscles straining as she went to reach for her legs, stopping Grace when she went to bring them up for her.

"Don't. I got this." (Y/N) spoke softly as she yanked her leg into place by the edges of her pants. Grace only sighed before walking back over to the terminal. "So you just figured you'd come out here, to the most hostile environment known to man with no training of any kind, and see how it went? What was going through your head?"

"Maybe I was sick of doctors telling me what I couldn't do." (Y/N) answered in a bored tone, looking Grace directly in the eye as the pod behind her began to power up. The older woman released a sharp laugh before pushing the ex-marine to lay flat on her back. "Keep your arms in, hands in," Grace explained as she pulled the metal body cover down. (Y/N) quickly lifted her head in fascination making Grace slap a hand onto her forehead. "Head down. Down. Just relax and let your mind go blank. That shouldn't be hard for you."

(Y/N) smiled at the insult before speaking out as Grace closed the pod's lid, "Kiss the darkest part of my lily white-"

Now closed into the pod, (Y/N) whipped her head around to look at the machinery that surrounded her. The jell felt cool on her back as she settled her shoulders in, her eyes quickly blinking to adjust to the new light that flooded the pod. Taking a few deep breaths, (Y/N) slowly closed her eyes willing herself to calm her mind and body despite the excitement coursing through her veins. Behind her eyelids, she could see flashing colors. Even though she knew her body was still in the pod she could feel her mind move to a different place, to a different body.

When she opened them again it was like everything had been heightened. She could hear the animals outside; her vision, even though it was blurry, was the sharpest it's ever been. Above her face, two masked-up scientists spoke out, their voices echoing as (Y/N) slowly settled into her new body. "She's in. (Y/N), can you hear me? Can you hear me, (Y/N)?" As the woman was speaking to her, a flashlight was shined into her eyes causing her pupils to contract. "Pupillary reflex is good." The Doctor confirmed reaching up to snap near the avatar's ears.