Heartbeat.

Fukase felt his presence before he saw him. A shadow on the ground crawled towards his feet and stopped before him, and from the shadow emerged Oliver, a crazed look in his remaining yellow eye. His bandages were off, exposing the black hole of his eye socket, but something was awry. Shadowy hands revealed themselves like snakes from a burrow, reaching towards Fukase. Fukase stiffened as they caressed his non-scarred cheek with their lanky fingers.

Oliver hummed ominously. "You just couldn't stay away from me, could you?" Fukase didn't answer, and he made eye contact with eyes inside of Oliver's eye socket. "Not even if it'd save your life."

"I miss you." Fukase said simply. His voice wavered, only slightly. "Please tell me what's going on."

Oliver tilted his head. "You know, I should kill you for putting on that show with my brother and sister." He stared through Fukase's skull, and Fukase felt slightly embarrassed that Oliver had been watching that after all. "But I don't want to do that. I suggest that you leave here and forget about all of this. About me, especially."

"That's not fair." Fukase argued, shaking the hands away. They retreated back into Oliver's eye socket. "I don't care what you or your family are. I just want you. W-with me."

Oliver didn't react.

"I just want to make sure you're okay."

Oliver stepped backwards, his hands at his sides. Only then did Fukase see the impossibly sharp claws of his fingernails. "You have no business being worried about something like me. I'll be fine, you won't if you don't leave."

"I don't care about what happens to me!" Fukase snapped, tears forming at his eye again. He tried blinking them away, but they were just replaced with more. "I just want us to be friends again!"

Oliver frowned, his eye darkening. "You may not care, but I do. Piss off."

Fukase wanted to yell at him, to scream at him, whatever it took to get it through his thick skull that he just wanted them to talk again. He held his tongue.

"For as much as you seem to want me gone, you're not giving me much of a reason."

His eye narrowed. "Oh, you want a reason? You really want me to show you what I can do to you if you don't leave?"

His voice dripped with malice. There was a darkness to his tone that indicated to Fukase that this was his final warning. If he didn't run away with his tail between his legs now, Oliver would give him a real reason to do so. He didn't know what Oliver meant by that, and a part of him didn't want to stick around to find out.

  With what he's just seen, Fukase shouldn't play around with his life like this. He didn't know what these people were capable of. Hell, he didn't even know if he could call them people. They fit the description of monsters much better than they fit the description of people.

  But.

Fukase didn't care about that.

All he cared about was Oliver.

Fukase (metaphorically) stood his ground. "Try me."

Oliver took a step forward, and Fukase shut his eye and braced himself. Seconds of tense silence brought about nothing, and Fukase slowly opened his eye back up, confused. Oliver was looking down at his shaking claws.

"... I was about to hurt you." Oliver whispered, looking up at Fukase. His face was etched with so much pain Fukase hadn't thought Oliver was even capable of feeling. "I was about to hurt you, and you were going to let me."

Fukase didn't know how to respond.

"You're bloody mad, aren't you?"

Fukase simply smiled. "Says you."