Chapter 9 - Namjoon - hiking

It's the cusp of spring when Namjoon invites him hiking.

At first, Jungkook questions whether there's a penalty for Run BTS that he's forgotten about. Turns out, Namjoon just really wants to see the cherry blossoms.

At Namsan Park, the incline towards N Seoul Tower is comfortable to him. After all, he's been training his body for boxing. His pace turns out to be a bit much for Namjoon. He turns around.

Namjoon wipes at the sweat on his forehead, resting his hands on his knees. "Jungkook-ah, slow down! You've always made it hard for your hyungs to catch up to you."

Jungkook isn't in the mood to laugh or joke. He likes the burn in his thighs and calves, making him forget about his latest picking episode. Just like during his time with the other members, his face is completely covered. The sweat is messing with his foundation a bit, so maybe it's good to keep a bit of distance from his leader.

Cherry blossom season is at its peak. The emergence of pink and white, petals floating around him like he's a forest spirit, is a good distraction from his misery. The hiking trail, despite the pleasant weather, isn't all that crowded. He slows down, falling back into pace with his leader and role model.

"The members have been saying that you've been acting differently," Namjoon says, keeping his cadence unassuming. "Do you want to talk about it with me?"

Jungkook considers finally spilling the truth, saying the words out loud that will cement his struggles—like facing a real-life beast. "Not really," he ends up saying, but the consideration of doing so is a hundred percent there.

Namjoon catches it, like he's pointing out the rays of sun spilling off his shoulders. "Talk to me when you're ready. You know, I've seen you grow up. I can point out the ways that I know you're struggling. But I'll wait for you to say it yourself."

Jungkook nods even though he's sure Namjoon is studying the cherry blossom tree up ahead, hanging over the path like a friendly sprite. "I will."

As the tower looms overhead, Jungkook stops when two girls turn around and screech in unison. ARMY can recognize them anywhere, so it's surprising it's taken this long for them to be noticed. Jungkook, no matter his current state of mind, stops to greet his fans. ARMY always encouraged him in his darkest moments. Why wouldn't they do the same thing for him now?

"No pictures please," Namjoon says as one of the girls unpockets her phone.

"Let's take a picture," Jungkook says. Maybe it's the air from the cherry blossoms, perfuming the space around him and making him braver.

"Really?" Then, Namjoon slaps him on the back. "Sure, let's take a picture then."

Even though his fans are seeing his face for the first time in a while, the fear of being found out has taken a backseat. All that matters now is giving back to those who were there for him at his darkest times.

He and Namjoon break away after the picture, chasing the peak of the mountain. Namjoon is silent for a while. Until they reach the top—where thousands of locks hang from the fencing, signaling the love of couples and friends.

"You really have grown up, Jungkook." Namjoon grins and shakes Jungkook's far shoulder.

Jungkook shrugs. "I still have a lot more growing up to do."

A/N: Thank you so much for reading! Hope you will get a chance to see 'Yet To Come' in cinemas! ❤️