Chapter 18

Chapter 18

"Hello?" I frowned, rolling over to answer my phone at about 3 in the morning.

"Bella." Jesse said seriously. "I need help."

"Save it, dude." I muttered, hanging up the call and rolling over, hoping that I wasn't awake long enough to permanently alter my sleep schedule.

It had been two weeks since she lied about missing my birthday, and hadn't spoken to me since...

But just as I was settling back into the comfy cloud of sleep, the phone started ringing again. I declined the call and tossed my phone to the end of my bed, pressing my face into my pillow as I let out a groan.

Dammit, Jesse.

I crawled to the end of my bed to answer the phone when it started ringing again, not even opening my eyes as I laid down with the phone next to my head.

It occurred to me that her mom was supposed to be coming home this week, so I should probably put my own annoyance aside for her potentially real problems...

"What." I groaned, hoping this would be quick and I could go to sleep.

"Bella, I'm freaking out right now I need your help." Jesse was actually crying, her voice strained and shaky. "Please, please."

"What's going on? Are you okay?" I asked, sitting up straight as I worried that it really did have something to do with her mom.

"I need you to come over." Jesse whispered. "And I need... I need you to bring a pregnancy test."

"Jesse..." I whispered, already getting out of bed.

I didn't even change out of my pajamas as I slipped on my Birkenstocks and grabbed my wallet and keys.

"Bella, please, I'm sorry, I suck I just... I can't drive right now I just need... Bella, I need you."

"I'm on my way. Sit tight, dude." I sighed, already jogging down the stairs.

"Bella!" My dad called from the living room as I sped through the kitchen.

"Dad?" I frowned, poking my head around the corner to see him sitting in the living room watching game film. "What the hell are you doing? Where's mom?"

"She's asleep. I wasn't tired, where are you going?" He asked, raising his eyebrows with mild amusement.

I probably should've thought this one through before flying out of the house at 3 in the morning.

"Alright so here's the thing, best friend emergency, Jesse needs me." I sighed, leaning against the frame of the archway. "Gotta pull through."

"You know you have a game at 8 in the morning, right?" My dad asked, pausing the game film and leaning back against the couch.

Shit. He was right.

The game I told myself would be my last before I quit for good...

"Yeah, I know. I just, I really gotta be there for Jesse right now." I sighed, scratching the back of my head.

I'd deal with the soccer thing later.

"Stuff with her mom?"

"Uh, look dad I gotta go." I sighed.

"Grab your soccer stuff! I'll meet you at the game!"

I groaned but knew he was right, so I spun around and sprinted back up to my room to grab my soccer bag, praying that everything was in there.