Chapter 8

Chapter 8

'Uh... Not in ap lit this trimester, sry!'

I figured my response back to Jonah Lincoln was simple enough that it required no reply from him. And if he did reply, it would be a simple 'ah shit no problem'.

But nope, this guy had other plans.

'ah darn... guess I'll have to find another excuse to talk to you'

I literally snorted out loud, locking my phone before sliding it into my back pocket.

"What?" Kade asked with a laugh, leaning against the driver side door.

"You know Jonah Lincoln? My dad's goalie?" I offered, taking a handful of chips from the bag on the center console. "He's been trying to slide in, it's hella amusing."

Kade just raised his eyebrows, not saying anything as I closed my eyes and munched on the chips.

We were silent for a few minutes save for the munching of chips and rustling of the bag.

It was half past twelve, we were parked in the teacher lot of the high school, and I was almost as high as I was last night. It was a more electric high, I guess you could say, less alcohol to chill me out.

I was constantly moving, eating, bouncing, or talking. I was driving myself nuts, I could only imagine what Kade was thinking.

"So what's going on with my sister?" Kade asked seriously, clearly not bothered by my wired state at the moment.

"Your sister? Nothing." I shrugged, although I knew full well the seal was about to break and I was about to have verbal diarrhea all over this guy.

"Bullshit. You left her puking and alone on Saturday and brushed her off today. What's her deal?" Kade persisted, picking up the bag of chips to snack on for himself.

Where to even start with the shit show that was my friendship with Jesse right now...

"Alright." I said, pulling both of my legs up onto the seat underneath me as I got ready to start talking.

"Here we go." Kade laughed through a mouthful of chips.

I took a deep breath, leaning back against the window. "I dunno man... It's just... It's hard to be at the level that I'm at with a best friend who is still restricted by a state 10 pm curfew, you feel?"

Kade frowned but nodded, thoughtfully chewing his chips.

"Like when I was sixteen, sure I was drinking and all that shit but everyone around me was still fourteen and fifteen so I was hanging with the older kids and they were so chill about it all. Like your grade and stuff. Jesse and her cheerleader friends? They're skinny girls who barely eat, yet drink like a grown man should. I just can't stand her devotion to alcohol."

"You don't think it's getting to the point that my mom is, do you?" Kade asked seriously.

"No, not a long-term problem." I said quickly, knowing that he must be concerned that she was going down the alcoholism path. "Like, it's totally appropriate amount for her age group and social circle.."

"But not for you?" Kade asked quietly.

"She's just fucked me over so many times because of her priorities and frankly I'm sick of it." I rolled my eyes, reaching to take the chips from him.

He tried to resist for a second before I tugged harder and took them back to my seat with me.

Both of us laughed for a second, his eyes lighting up as I smiled through a mouthful of chips.