Prologue

Prologue

"Anybody get a look at Bella Harrison after that dinner?" Kellan Jones smirked, resting his feet up on the scratched coffee table in the dusty attic.

A post game 'gathering' of some sorts, the boys were getting drunk off of a six pack amongst them, high tolerances allowing for a cheap drunk. They'd barely scraped by with a win, yet soccer was the last thing on their minds.

Everyone laughed, Jonah Lincoln's face spreading into a smile as he leaned forwards.

"Coach's daughter..." Adam Jensen commented, shaking his head. "Watch it."

"Oh as if that girl doesn't put out like it's her job." Jonah Lincoln spoke up, resting his elbows on his knees. "You seen that belly button ring? She's no innocent."

"Like she'd ever get with you." Kade Armstrong spoke up, an unlikely person to be seen at a place like this.

He was twenty one, a junior in college, taking a semester off to pick up the pieces of his mom's latest rehab stunt. A soccer superstar himself in high school days, he was welcomed back in with open arms, a guy happy to provide beer and wild college stories to the team.

"Bet." Jonah Lincoln laughed, the one word destined to change everything.

"A hundred bucks." Kellan Jones spoke up again, leaning forwards as well. "Get with Bella Harrison before the season is over."

"Easy money." Jonah Lincoln laughed, leaning back against the couch as he reached for the beer. "Easy. Money." He repeated.

Kade Armstrong winced, sipping his own beer as he glanced down at his phone. He was disgusted by this behavior but at the same time intrigued. Old enough to be removed from the drama yet still young enough to enjoy watching it unfold. He was sure this wasn't possible. He was still in touch with enough of other graduated high school players to know that Bella only went for older guys. A subtle way to rebel, she only went for guys who used to be on her dad's team and more than likely 'off limits'.

Kade would get a first row seat to this, as Bella was his little sister's best friend. She was always around through their late childhood, the soccer superstar with a body fit for a magazine cover. Any guy would lust over her no problem.

But anybody who looked at more than her figure could see that she was painfully damaged, the light behind her eyes was burnt out, and she had been retreating farther and farther into herself every time he saw her.

Jonah would either have an easy path to a girl so self-deprecating she'd give it up to anybody, or it would be impossible, walls up so high that nobody could crack through.