Chapter 28

All I can say about my Grandad's funeral was that it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to face. I tried not to cry but the second song broke me, I remember him always listening to it.

My Mum barely spoke to me the whole day, she barely spoke to anyone really. I can't even imagine what she must be feeling but I didn't want to start an argument on a day like this so I left her alone.

Ashton stayed with me the whole time. The guys and him all came, dressed in suits, which I actually thought was really sweet. Luke couldn't make it however, he said he came down with a stomach bug but he would have been there if he could.

When I started crying, Ashton held my hand by the side of the seat which instantly made me feel comforted. He was my rock through it, just like he has been for weeks.

At the end, we all went to the wake. I had a drink or two but I didn't really want to be there. I payed my respects to my Grandad and small talked with some relatives but I really just wanted to get out of there so Ashton ordered a taxi and took me back to his hotel room.

"So how did it go with your Mum then?" Ashton asks me, putting one hand on my lap.

"She tried to apologise." I roll my eyes.

"Well that's a start." Ashton tries to sound positive.

"I've heard it all before" I sigh, "I just want her to get better."

"And she will." Ashton gently squeezes my thigh.

"Is Luke ok with us going back to the room? If he's still not very well?" I ask, trying to change the subject and take my mind off everything.

"I think he's feeling better now actually, he text me just before we set off." Ashton says and I sense a weird tone in his voice.

"Oh, good timing then." I say.

Ashton doesn't say anything, he just listens to the radio and taps his fingers on his thigh along to the music for the rest of the journey.

When we get to the house we go straight up to Ashton's room.

We are greeted by Luke who is laid on the bed nearest the door.

"Oh, hey Alexa." He sits up and stares at me for an awkward amount of time, his mouth slightly open.

"Dude." Ashton almost hisses, then smiles at me.

"Oh, uh, sorry." Luke mutters. "How was the funeral? Sorry stupid question" I can tell Luke just mentally kicked himself.

"It went as well as it could of." I assure him, he seems on edge.

"Well we're just going to watch TV for a bit." Ashton says.