Chapter 22

I make Ashton make sure that the coast is clear before making a run out the door with him, trying not to let Mum spot me. But, of course, that was never going to go to plan.

"Alexa." I hear my mothers voice call behind me, making my footsteps quickly speed up. Ashton holds the door open for me.

"Who's this boy?" Mum questions, her voice turning flirtatious. Are you kidding me?

"Mum just go away." I huff.

"Oh Aly don't be like that."

"Don't call me Aly." I sternly say. Mum frowns.

"Why don't you introduce me to your friend?" She smiles at Ashton.

"You're a mess." I say to her and I go to walk out the door but I feel a tug on my arm.

"Don't you walk away from me missy. I've come all this way for you." Her face now too close to mine for my liking.

"You're breath stinks." I scoff and pull away from her. All I can smell is pure alcohol.

"Don't be so rude." She laughs and raises her eyebrows. 

"Vanessa that's enough." Dad calls from the kitchen doorway much to my relief.

"Dad I'm staying the night at the band house." I tell Dad and he nods understandingly. 

"Band house... oh, so you're one of the little band members my husband left me for." Mum laughs, but she's not laughing because she finds it funny, she's doing it to be intimidating and down right bitchy.

"Ignore her." I say to Ashton. I feel guilty for the way my so called Mother is acting towards him.

"It's ok." He says gently to me. "Yes, Mrs. Taylor. I am indeed in a band. I'm Ashton, nice to meet you." Ashton puts his hand out for Mum to shake.

Mum does nothing but smirks at Ashton, squinting and looking him up and down, not even thinking about going to shake his hand.

"How cute." She spits.

"Dad we're leaving now." I say, i've had enough of this. I don't even know who she is anymore.

"I don't think you are. You really think I'm going to let you stay in a house alone with teenage boys. No I don't think so." Mum try's to control me.

"You lost your right to tell me what to do a long time ago." I bite the inside of my cheek, trying not to get too worked up. I can't let her win that's exactly what she wants.

"We'll take good care of her." Ashton assures her. 

"I know you will." My Dad says. "Go on then you two. I'll let you know what's happening tomorrow morning." He tells me. I smile at him to say thank you.

"Stephen you can't just let her go with this, this.. this little scumbag!" Mum spits. She's just taken one step too far.

"Oh because you're in a place to judge people right now." I shout at her.

Mum takes a deep breath. 

"I need a drink." She groans.

"Who even are you?" I shout, my voice threatening to crack.

"Your Mother!" She shouts back.

I shake my head.

"No your not." My voice serious now. "You used to be, but now I really don't know who you are anymore."

"Aly." She starts to walk towards me, her voice sympathetic.

"Get away from me." I edge towards Ashton and he puts his arm around me. "You're a mess! Can't you see how much of a fool you're making of yourself? You need to go back to rehab." I grit my teeth. "And I don't want to see you again until you're sober and sober for good."