Chapter 1

Harry•

Time is a difficult concept to grasp.

Easy to lose but at the same time hard to find.

Time did not benefit my case at the moment though.

No. Not at all.

It actually lessened my chance.

My chance of finding him.

"Harry, you need to get some sleep."

I avert my attention in the direction of the familiar voice. Within the matter of seconds my eyes meet piercing brown ones.

"I can take care of myself, you know," I tell my worrisome sister who is presently leaning against the frame of my bedroom door.

"I worry about you Harry, ever since Niall vanished you've seemed distant, almost lost."

I cringe my eyes as I hear the name role of her tongue flawlessly. Memories flood my head in violent waves, crashing down on my fragile walls. Tears threaten to fall but I manage to conquer my emotions by blinking fiercely.

I missed the blonde boy who was in every way oblivious to the world. His booming laugh echoes in my head constantly during the day, almost as if it were trying to escape.

I wonder if he's trying to escape.

Guilt fills every aspect of my body as I slowly close my eyes. I feel the bed dip slightly and a pair of warm arms wrap around my frail body. I start to shake uncontrollably as I bury my face into the soft fabric of my sister's sweater.

"I should have noticed sooner," I cry out only to be immediately shushed.

"Harry, it was out of your control and you know it."

My sister's words are muffled by the painful screams booming in my head.

Help me! Harry please...

Flashbacks from that dreadful day enter my mind no matter how hard I fight them away.

The flashing lights of oversized cameras blind my vision.

"Harry, mum brought you some fresh bread."

I hear my name being called in every direction.

"Do you need to lay down?"

The need to escape overtakes my body...

"Harry, are you even listening to me!"

I am no longer reluctant to use physical force against anyone standing in the way of my destination.

"You need to rest."

I escape the vicious crowd along with two of my bandmates.

His desperate screams hit me like a tidal wave- pounding my emotions and crumbling my walls.

But by the time I look back... He is already gone.

"Gem, I can't do this anymore," I tell my loving sister while bowing my head in shame. She starts to object but I quickly stop her words by shaking my head. "No, I..", I pause and bite my lower lip trying to explain myself," I just can't handle the pain and loss- I can't even stare at myself in the mirror."

"Harry," she pauses, waiting for my objection but continues when I stay quiet,"You can't say things like that- you're not exactly stable enough to make those decisions right now."

My sister notices the ever present tears dipping off my tired face that form little dark spots on my sweats so she wraps her arms around my back. I gladly welcome her embrace and immediately calm my breathing down when I feel her fingers rubbing soothing circles over the back of my shirt.

"Maybe we should invite the boys over- I bet they miss you an awful lot. It would be the perfect distraction."

"Would it help?" I softly whisper.

"I am most definitely sure," Gem replies in a cheerful voice trying to lighten the mood.

An uncomfortable silence fills the room as I try to muffle the sounds of my sniffling.

"What causes you the most pain in this situation?" She looks away, dreadfully waiting for my reaction to her risky question.

"He wanted to hold my hand." I shudder as I remember the painful details of the memory

"What?" My sister asks in surprise due to the fact I answered.

"He was scared of the crowd- didn't want to be last. Before we exited the plane he asked for my hand."

"What did you say then?"

I can feel my lips quiver as I reply, my voice filled with shame,"I slapped his hand away and I told him to man up."

"Even if you took his hand we could still be in this situation." Gem responds trying to the lift the guilt off my shoulders.

"But I would have lived with the fact that I tried and actually did something to protect him!" I viciously snap at my sister who is immediately taken aback by my rudeness.

She stands up with a long sigh and starts to leave my room so I can have some privacy and a chance to calm down.

"Gem, wait."

"Yes Harry?"

"I don't like feeling this way."

"I know you don't." She says before turning around to continue her exit.

"I'm sorry." I say no louder than a whisper in hopes of catching my sister's attention.

"I forgive you." Gem replies while pulling over my body before tucking the hem of the blanket under my chin.

"I'll text the boys while you sleep." She whispers softly and I feel the warmth of her lips on my forehead followed by the sound of a closing door.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Hello readers

What did you think of this chapter?

I know this is a bit sad but don't worry it gets happier once the boys meet up.

This part of the story takes place during the beginning of May, which is also the middle of one direction's 2 month break from the otra tour- right before the European leg. (NOTE: this comes into play soon)

In case you didn't catch on- Niall was taken at an airport (in Vegas to be exact) partially due to the low number of security and mostly due to the chaos of screams, flashing lights, and the roughness of the crowd.

Yes Zayn is not considered a present member but will still play a part in this story.

I would really appreciate any thoughts and critiques on this story.

Message me anytime.

Vote. Comment. Spread the word.

-Lil🔱