51

Austin and his cowboys had buried Zip up on Evelyn's mountain as she had asked. When Evelyn had been ready she had asked her father to take her up. Hazel had watched them walk slowly away on the back of Lightning, Evelyn clutching a huge bouquet Mags and Tina had given her. Hazel had wanted to go but thought better of it - somethings were meant for just a girl and her father. She busied herself with feeding the hogs and chickens. Surprised when Ellis asked her to confirm the list he had made for town and then Josh asked her if he could move some heifers. Without Austin around, she suspected that Jack, Ace or even Mr. Post would take charge and while they are all pretty much independent with their work they run everything past Hazel. She feels a little overwhelmed as she wants to do Austin proud and she knows the men are not trying to pressure her, they are showing her that they accept her as Austin's woman.

Lunch is a quiet affair, the loss of Zip and Evelyn's painful cries have left a heavy cloud on everyone. Mr. Post has not been around and Jack explains that he had bought Zip for Austin's mother as a birthday gift some years back and was very pleased when Zip had taken to Evelyn after his wife's death. He is out on the ranch dealing with his loss in his own way. "The calves need a feed after lunch, right?" Hazel asks "Yes," Ace confirms. "If you tell me what needs to be done I will do it," Hazel says. "I will help," Linda jumps in. "Very well. The men need to check the cattle in the west pasture, if they leave now they will be back before nightfall...I...would like to meet Tina at the doctor's, she needs a check-up," Jack says. Hazel looks up from her plate when no one moves. "Oh...are you asking me?" Hazel asks, confused. "Aye," Josh says. "Oh, Ok...yes...to both requests," she says. They nod and stand. After they leave Jack gives Hazel a rundown of what they need to do with the calves and then he too leaves. Hazel helps Linda with the lunch dishes then both women, along with Christmas Dinner, drive the truck down to the calves. It's a job and a half. By the time they are on the last calf, Hazel's back feels like it is about to break. "Tank, go away. You have had twice as much as everyone else," Hazel giggles as Tank tries his luck for more food. "We have company, Miss Hazel," Linda says suddenly. Hazel stands and looks down the road. She sees three big black cars drive slowly up the ranch road and then come to a halt in front of her. She opens the back door of the truck and takes out the rifle she had placed in there before they left the house, resting in her arms so whoever gets out will clearly see it.

"Hazel, right?" a suited man says with a huge fake smile as he climbs out of the car with an envelope in his hands. Hazel says nothing and remains unwelcoming in her stance. But she does get a little nervous when three more suited men get out of his car. "We come in peace. We just want to chat," the first man says. "I have nothing to say to you," Hazel says. The man looks at her then shakes his head and laughs a little. He looks around the heifers and the calves then back at her. "I heard ranch work was back-breaking work. I have a deal that could make you live like a queen, holidays abroad, jets, houses...you would rub shoulders with the rich and famous instead of being stuck here," he says wrinkling his nose. "Not interested. Please leave," Hazel says. "Aww, don't be like that...think of your little girl," he starts but at the mention of Evelyn Hazel's blood boils and she lifts her rifle and points it at him, how dare he. "Get off this land!" she shouts. "Ok, Ok calm down there young lady, we don't want anyone to get hurt now," he says raising his hands. "This land is not for sale!" Hazel shouts. "Not even for close to a one hundred million dollars?" he asks, cocking his head. What? A hundred million? What the fuck is Austin sitting on? "You can throw numbers at me all fucking day - my land is not for sale!" Hazel shouts and clicks the hammer back on the rifle, that's his first warning. Her heart is beating so fast, but she is not playing his game. He needs to leave.

"I will tell you what. How about you just take this contract, read through it, and then we can ta-" he is cut off when Hazel lowers her rifle and lets off a shot into the ground in front of his feet. Her ears ring, but she forces herself not to flinch. "That's your second warning!" she shouts. "Your rancher usually gives me two warning shots," he says. Hazel pulls the hammer back and lifts the rifle again, aiming at his head. "I am not my rancher," Hazel warns him. Then she hears someone approaching from behind her, she can tell it's Austin's footsteps and relief floods her body. "My woman shoots straight. I suggest you don't test her," he growls from behind her. She wants to pass him the rifle and then hide behind him, her arms starting to shake, but she keeps her aim at the suited man's head.

The man throws the contract on the floor and then gives the rest a signal to leave. Hazel keeps the rifle aimed at him. Just before he climbs into his car he stops and looks at Austin. "We will never stop. We will come back time and time again," he says. "Fucking dirty bastard," Austin grumbles as he moves past Hazel, grabbing the rifle out of her hands and storming forward, pointing at the man. He gets the message and quickly jumps into the car as Austin lets off another shot. Austin turns back to Hazel as they drive off. "You ok, darlin'?" he asks wrapping his arm around her head and pulling her to his chest. She is shaking and now that he is here she lets herself cry a little. "Hush, darlin', you did good," he coos and kisses her head. Hazel hears movement behind her so she pulls out of his arm. Evelyn walks out from behind a shed with Lightning following her. "You ok?" she asks as Evelyn walks into her arms. "Yes, ma'am," Evelyn says offering her a watery smile.

Ma'am...

"Take the truck back home," Austin says and Evelyn nods. She hops into the driver's seat, slides it forward then starts it, and drives off once Linda hops in. "Is that legal?" Hazel asks, Evelyn never fails to shock her. "You just shot at a man and you are asking me if that's legal?" Austin smirks at her then mounts Lightning and helps her up. "Was she alright up there today?" Hazel asks as lightning starts walking forward.

"She is in pain...but she is strong."

"What...what happened to Zip?"

"Snake."

"We should do away with all the snakes on the ranch."

"It's hard, but that is the way of the ranch. Every living thing here has a part to play. Even the snakes."

"Those men-"

"Are not your concern."

Hazel turns to face Austin. "You are my concern. Evelyn is my concern. You asked me to stay and I have accepted that means Cottonwood is my concern. If you want me by your side you have to show me all of you, not just bits and pieces. You may not be able to say the words so easily but I can...I love you and I love Evelyn. I even love that stupid turkey and well...that's that," she says and turns forward again. "That's that," Austin echoes her words softly then kisses the top of her head.