𝟎𝟑. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐅𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐓𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐥

Gemini's heart thumped loudly in her chest as she and Aries walked through the marketplace

Gemini's heart thumped loudly in her chest as she and Aries walked through the marketplace. What were they doing there again? Oh right, they were going to her first trial. What could it be? Her mind raced with all the different possibilities.

They had been walking for a while through the market and Gemini's nerves were getting the best of her. And the heat of the sun was not helping. Oh, how she longed to sit down under a shade and sip some cold fruit punch.

In Eden, fruit punch was very popular and could be found everywhere. It was sort of like their signature or national drink and the punch found there is like no other. Made from an array of fruits, the burst of sweetness ends with a refreshing tartness that makes many yearn for more.

"Where are we even going?"

"Somewhere," Aries said cryptically as he led them down a narrow path, but immediately regretted taking the shortcut.

Gemini stiffened as they stumbled into a memorial dedicated to Ophiuchus. Aries paled as his eyes darted to Gemini then to the statue of his dead lover.

"I-I must've taken a wr-wrong turn," Aries mumbled as he ran a hand through his hair. "Come on, Gemini, let's go-"

"What is this?" Gemini demanded as she read the plague at the foot of the statue. "You never failed to look out for her and loved her till the end? What bullshit."

It didn't seem possible, but Aries got even paler. How could he forget that Gemini was Ophiuchus' niece and that Zadkiel probably told her another story of Ophiuchus' trial?

"Gemini, listen, I didn't mean for her to-"

"To die? Well, if you hadn't filled her head with dreams of being a god with you, this wouldn't have happened."

"I regret it, okay? Every single damn day," Aries defended, his eyes glistening with tears as memories of his time with Ophiuchus resurfaced.

"Oh yeah?" Gemini retaliated. "You killed Ophiuchus! You lied to her that she could pass and she believed you, even when it was painfully obvious that she was going to fail! If you hadn't been so high and mighty-"

"Shut up!" Aries roared, cutting Gemini off.

Everyone around them quietened down as they all turned to stare at the duo. "You know nothing about me!" he continued, oblivious to all the eyes on them. "How do you think I felt when Ophiuchus died? Do think I don't blame myself as well? I failed her, Gemini."

"So? That doesn't give you any excuse to be such an asshole. You certainly didn't seem like you cared at all. You weren't even at her funeral. You just disappeared then returned a few days later, partying at some bar," Gemini shouted.

As if just realising that everyone was looking at them, Aries asked rudely, "What are you looking at?"

Scared, everyone quickly continued with whatever they were doing while talking in hushed whispers.