𝟏𝟑. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐓𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐥

Breath in

Breath in. Breath out. Breath in. Breath out.

Gemini desperately tried to control her breathing as she approached the House of Muses.

The House of Muses was the greatest entertainment house built by one of the past councils known as the Muses. It doubled as an arena, an amphitheatre and an event hall. But today, it would serve as an arena for her last trial.

The light of the sun temporarily blinded Gemini as she stepped into the open-air arena with Aries by her side. The cheers of the gathering crowd were almost deafening, all of them chanting her name.

Right in front of her, on the other end of the arena were the gods themselves. Standing beside them was Ursa Major, the Council's most trusted adviser for many generations.

Oh, shit.

・‥...━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━━...‥・

"Pick a number from 1 to 10," Ursa Major ordered.

Gemini nervously looked at the Zodiac Council before her. They were all dressed in tunics and pants with some pieces of their Greek battle armour, their usual gold crowns nowhere to be seen. But she was too. It couldn't be...could it?

"Uh...5," Gemini said nervously. Her hands were trembling and she felt beads of sweat starting to form on her brow.

One of the Zodiacs stepped forward. Libra. He was tall with an ivory tunic under his bronze armour. Even in battle, his hands were adorned with various rings. What they represented, she couldn't remember. She was too nervous. She had never really battled a god before...other than her parents.

Meanwhile, Libra just looked at her calmly, assessing her. Probably noting down my weaknesses and thinking up strategies, Gemini thought bitterly. He has a big advantage since the gods have been observing me for the last six trials.

She would have expected this. After all, for every generation of gods, one of the trials would always be a fight or a battle or something along those lines. That would explain the lessons and training as well.

But at that moment, all Gemini could do was curse herself for not connecting the dots earlier. If she had, she would've had more time to prepare...

"You have five minutes," Ursa Major said. "You may pick your weapon from over there." She nodded towards a rack of various weaponry behind them.

Aries gripped her arm tightly and pulled her towards the weapon rack. "Libra isn't so bad. He plays fair and square. Be thankful you didn't choose someone like Taurus or Scorpio or Virgo or..." he paused, "me."