Fireworks

CHAPTER 3: Fireworks

A couple weeks have passed since Jasper came to my house. I haven't seen him or heard from him. I started my job at his family's restaurant called Melgoza's, so obvious I know. I'm a waitress. My uniform isn't too bad. Black jeans, black button up shirt with a tie. I do look like I'm going to a funeral though. It's super fancy here, but they have a good burger I get from time to time. The pay and tips are good. I don't usually see anyone from school, thank god. The vibe here isn't really for high school kids.

"Whoever gets less tips by the end of our shift, has to buy the other dessert."

Knox whispers as he walks by me. He's 18 and moved here with his family a couple of months ago. His mother had a job opportunity so he came with her. He's working to help out with bills and his little sisters. His dad died five years ago. He makes work so much fun. He has a cute laugh and big smile. Short wavy black hair, and the best personality. Whenever we are scheduled to work together I get so excited. I know my night will consist of constant laughter.

"Hello? Excuse me miss."

A grumpy old man said trying to get my attention.

"Sorry. What can I get you to eat?"

"I'll have the ribeye. Medium rare, a side of mashed potatoes, and calamari."

"Okay. Coming right up."

I walk away to take the order to the kitchen. As I'm walking I see Knox at a table full of older women. They are all laughing and talking with him. He's smiling and flirting. He's obviously going to get more tips than me.

"Hey Javier. Here is my order."

I give him the paper.

"Javier! Make mine first please. Big tip coming from that table. I'll give you $20 from it."

"You got it."

"Hey! I gave you mine first."

"Sorry Brixlee, but this is how winners win."

Knox says as he smiles.

"You little jerk."

I start to walk away. He grabs my hand and gives me a crumbled piece of paper as I walk away. I open it.

I'll share my dessert with you.

I laugh.  I look for him through the kitchen window. He sees me and smiles. I can't help but smile back.

—————-

Finally, it's 5:00 pm. I'm officially clocked out of work. I head to the back of the restaurant to avoid the customers. Even though they see my backpack on my shoulder, indicating I'm leaving, they still see my uniform and bug me with questions. I got introuble once because I told a lady I was off of work. The lady told the manager I was being rude. How is that rude when I'm not working? It was a whole thing.

"Count 'em up."

Knox says as he approaches me. His huge smile is so contagious. Now I'm smiling again.

"You already know you made more than me. You always get huge tips by the wives and old ladies."

"I'm a stud."

We both laugh. I count my money anyways. Of course, I made $37 less than him.

"Here's your $10 for your cheesecake."

"How do you even know I want a cheesecake? I could want something else."

"You always get a cheesecake. You're like the king of cheesecake."