Tulsa Rodeo

Made in the 1970's

"I cant believe you drove all the way to Tulsa for a rodeo." I stated from the backseat, looking up from a book I had been reading. "We needed a vacation." My mother stated, looking back at me. I smiled. I had the dream family, I loved it.

"Were here! Right on time!" my father exclaimed excitedly, opening the truck door and running back to the trailer with a hop in his step. My mother and I smiled at eachother, knowing we both loved my father. He was such a happy man, delightful man, seeing him could make you smile.

"Alright." I stated, opening the trailer door and walking in to grab my Chestnut Gelding; Roy. I named him after a TV show I saw once, I dont remember the name. But he was a damn good roping horse, thanks to me of course.

My mom and my sister, Vivian, didn't have much to do with the horses. They just liked to watch. I truly believe my older sister hates me because I like this lifestyle, she doesn't. My moms okay with it, just my dad and I love it. We didnt need all the fancy clothing or the makeup or whatever. We just had fun living. Living like this.

I tied my horse up to the trailer while my mother and sister finally got out of the car, along with my dog who I named Maverick. He was a blue merle Australian Shepard that was one hell of a working dog. He could separate 30 cattle in litterial minutes. It's really impressive.

I threw the saddle blanket on the dark chestnut horse and then my saddle. I tightened the sench a little bit, then heard a horse whinnying' like crazy. I turned around and saw a boy around my age with a buckin' horse out in the field, maybe 20/30 feet from us, why not help?

I walked up to the horse and grabbed the lead rope that was still connected to its halter. The horse was a dark bay with a large blaze in the front with one white sock. "Woah baby" I said calmly, stroking the horse's nose softly. It stopped moving, the guy looked at me with a smile.

I continued to pet the horse to calm it down since its breathing was still rapid. I looked at the boys saddle and saw the back sench was on too tight, thats never a good thing. So I just walked to the side and undid it a few notches, the horse calmed down immediately.

I was quite oblivious to the boy who had now gotten off the horse while I was still petting its face. "Thank you," he said to me. I looked at him and smiled. "Yeah, of course." I handed him the rope. "Just dont put your back cinch on so tight, it makes them uncomfortable." I smiled. He nodded.

"Madeline Shelby." I stuck a hand out for him. He laughed. "Sodapop Curtis." my eyes widened. "Oh my god, I love your name." I told him with a giddy smile. His eyes lit up, his smile became wider. "Really? Most people ask me if im serious." He said. "Its original, I like it." I stated again, meeting his eyes. He was really pretty.

"You aint from around here, are you?" He started to walk in a direction which I followed without hesitation. "I'm from Kansas." I told him. "Kansas?" he repeated. "Born and raised." I said with a small laugh. "What you doin' tonight?" he turned towards me, I had a shocked look on my face. "I mean event wise," his eyes softened. "Oh, roping. Team roping." I told him. He smiled, I loved his smile.

"I guess I see ya there. I need to go take care of him real quick, see ya round?" he asked. "Of course." I answered, turning around and started walking back to the three horses of mine. God he was nice, and pretty. He's probably the only guy I'll ever set eyes on that actually sparks something in me.

"What were you doing?" My sister asked as I made my way back to my horse. "I helped a guy with his horse, no big deal." I told her softly. She scoffed. "Whatever. I was trying to talk to him, but you obviously did let that happen.'' She turned on her heels and walked somewhere away from me. I was just standing there thinking how the hell is that my problem?