(4) Does he want the help? (4)

Palette stood stammering. He stared at Reaper with his star shaped pupils dashing before Reaper.

".. What?" Was all he could manage to say.

"Well. We met in Limbo.. Right? Something happened and you were revived. I get the feeling you aren't finished." Reaper shook his head. The trees shook slightly. The sounds of rustling leaves sounded similar as if nature itself was whispering about the deal about to be made.

".. And why do you care?" Palette asked, taking a cautious step backwards. He met death's stare. Those soulless black eyes seemingly swallowed Palette whole.

"I don't. That's exactly why I wanna help you." Reaper floated towards the younger. "I'm supposed to be babysitting you, right? Dream doesn't get how demanding being a reaper is. If you gotta go somewhere. I'll happily drop you off."

Palette's chest sunk with a heavy feeling. He had just been presented with an opportunity to ignore everyone's emotions, to keep going... to finish what he started. Dare he?

Palette looked behind him. Goth was probably on his way with Life. He knew he was running out of time with every moment he considered his decision. But one thought finally pushed him over the brink of the choice.

"Okay.. Mr Reaper, could you please take me to Dreamtale?" Palette asked quickly, his voice coming out wobbly and unsure. Reaper's smile widened as he moved his scythe with a swift hand movement.

"It'd be my honour." His voice rattled inside Palette's skull as his decision was set. His non-existent lungs tightened as he held his breath.

He truly was a terrible son.

And as if to rub it even further into his wounds, Goth came by and Life did too.

"Ah! Sans, what a welcome surprise." Toriel smiled an earthly smile. Reaper leaned against his scythe.

"I've got them now. Thanks for doing my job for me Tori." Death spoke with a lazy smile. Toriel nodded, moving elegantly towards him.

"You must stay for lunch. I was just going to provide these two with some homemade biscuits and jam! Oh my.. Mr Roller, are you alright?" Lady Life's gentle voice shook the youngling back into the current conversation.

"Hm? Did you say biscuits and jam? Sure; thanks Ms Life!" Palette repaired the iconic crooked smile on his face in a flash. "Just spacing off, I guess!" He shrugged. "I'm all good, let's go Gothy!" Palette held his hand out for Goth to take yet again.

Goth's eyes instantly narrowed sharply, seeing straight through his best friend's facade. He took Palette's hand and pulled him close while Death and Life spoke.

".. Did dad say something to upset you?" Goth muttered lowly. A slight blush dusted across Palette's face as he blinked.

".. Huh?"

"You look upset.. And don't give me the excuse that you were spacing off. I know you Pal, I know when you're just trying to shrug off your problems. Last time you did.. Well..." Goth trailed off, vaguely gesturing to the situation they were in. Palette didn't say a word, only letting Palette go when the young reaper noticed the lack of space between them.

"I'm fine Goth. I promise. I.. I wouldn't lie to you." He lied. Goth again, didn't look impressed nor like he believed Palette at all. In fact.. He looked frustrated. Palette swelled up in that familiar sense of guilt that he had grown used to.

"Well? Come along, my children. Let's go have some lunch." Lady Toriel smiled as she led the trio behind her. Palette trailed behind, but wasn't the last one behind them. He sent an unsure look over his shoulder to Reaper, who nodded towards the young demi-god. Palette was not only a terrible son, but a worse friend.

[...]

Thankfully, food seemingly got his mind off this. The biscuits and jam was out-of-this-world good if you were wondering. But the delightful aftertaste of betrayal and broken promises made it all the much sweeter. Palette could barely stomach it..

The hatted skeleton thanked Toriel for the incredible food and the time she spent making it before Goth and Palette were sent to follow after the reaper, to finish their punishments with him. Palette had no clue how he would escape the watchful eyes of his highly concerned best friend.. But maybe that was a good thing. All the signs were pointing-.. No. Screaming at him to put his determination, hope and pity aside and just go home. But, he owed a goddess a crown. Right? He couldn't ignore her.

Reaper stood at the edge of Life's garden before turning to finally face the kids. The poor skeletons' legs were sore by the time they were finished. But Reaper seemed oddly satisfied.

"Alright Palette. Want me to take you home?" Reaper questioned. Goth's face scrunched in confusion.

".. I'm sorry?"

"You're exhausted from running back and forth across Life's garden, yeah? That's enough punishment for me." Reaper shifted his weight as he hovered. His hood swayed slightly.

Palette clutched at his sleeve, a comforting habit he had developed during his tireless adventure. He swallowed his words and gave a nod, a sheepish smile towards his friend.

Goth didn't dare hesitate this time. He wrapped his best friend in a hug... however, Palette didn't hug him back.. That's how he knew something was definitely wrong.

"Palette, I don't know what's going on in your head anymore... but, I'm here for you. Okay? We all are. Everyone is." Goth whispered quietly. The other's jaw clenched as if he had to physically refrain himself from running his mouth.

Palette lifted his arms and embraced his friend, sinking into the other. He couldn't help but feel like this would be the last time he would see Goth for a while.. He wasn't ready to part. Not with Goth. Not him.

".. Thanks Gothy. I appreciate it."

Oh how Palette longed to tell Goth everything. But he was too deep in. Palette separated from the hug.

"I'll see you later." Palette smiled, before turning around, seeing Reaper had already formed a portal before him. It was a thick, foggy smoke.

Palette took a step besides Reaper, sure not to touch him. Reaper gave a goodbye hug to Goth, but it seemingly had much less sentimental than Palette's and Goth knew that well.

After the two vanished. Goth's scarlet scarf blew gently in the breeze.

He had to help Palette, but how can you help someone who doesn't want to be helped?

『••✎••』

// A/N!

Hehe, hello everyone! This chapter was extremely painful for me to write. Poor Palette and poor Gothy! Actually, if you guys are looking for some excellent content on the Underfell varients of Goth and Palette, Rurik and Lotus. May I suggest one of my good friend's fan fics Sensen? I won't spoil too much but good lord the lorik!!!

Rurik and Lotus have my total heart for this AU and I can't wait to read more, FizzyQuake (hope you don't mind the @ ♡)

https://www.wattpad.com/story/327144475?utm_source=android&utm_medium=link&utm_content=story_info&wp_page=story_details_button&wp_uname=Pixielikestowrite&wp_originator=j2WRYmgsoZnKwrdZiPEOOS%2FaRKBMopeqZoQ1AOFk%2FYJDPsGMIoKDZHsMYO5ofl8SdLWmSEJWmwjnK%2BIF5HxnH3CjeK8PPFRGXqH5rGavoGmZnGqRGufiWPDUURNCX7Xu

Byyeee! - Pixie