14 - a planned nightmare

✧・゚: ✧・゚: - :・゚✧:・゚✧・゚: ✧・゚: - :・゚✧:・゚✧
𝘎𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘝𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘞𝘢𝘢𝘭 - 𝘣𝘶𝘳𝘯𝘦𝘥
✧・゚: ✧・゚: - :・゚✧:・゚✧・゚: ✧・゚: - :・゚✧:・゚✧

"Let me go immediately!" screamed Edith over and over again, but the two men did not let go and only gripped her upper arms even tighter

The three guards took her back to her own chamber, where, to her surprise, the queen was already waiting for her. "What is this, your grace?" the girl asked again.

She still could not believe what the men had just told her, but the queen confirmed it to her again. "You promised me a wedding and it is today. In a few hours to be exact." Alicent sat relaxed in the rocking chair and sent the men out. In their place, four maids immediately entered.

"Already? But-"

"No buts, Lady Edith." Alicent opined in a warning tone, causing Edith to flinch. Uncomfortable goosebumps formed on her skin and she immediately felt cold at their presence. "I thought I had a few more days... I don't have a dress either." She tried to argue, but only fell on deaf ears.

Just at that moment one of the maids hung a dark garment bag on the window frame, then she opened the bag to reveal a pure white long wedding dress. Edith would have liked to break at the irony.

Where had Alicent gotten this dress so quickly? The queen must have planned the wedding long ago, before Edith's arrival in King's Landing.

Alicent just looked at the young girl meaningfully and then signaled to the maids. As if in a trance, the dark-haired girl spent the next hour being dressed. They washed her, put some cream on her, then they styled her long hair and put her into the tight corsage of the dress.

It was a beautiful dress, but never would Edith have chosen it. Never had she thought to marry in white, since it was indeed unusual in the seven kingdoms.

It made her look so innocent and young.

She didn't want any of that. She didn't want to look innocent and pretty. And there was no way she wanted to get married or was even close to being ready for it now.

Edith had known she would have to get married quickly, upon her return, but she hadn't expected it so soon! She had not been here a day and had not had time to prepare. Although there was no way to prepare for a forced wedding.

"It's not fair." Edith whined softly. She looked beautiful, but she was by far the saddest bride ever.

"Life isn't fair, little Edith. All you can do is try to come to terms with it." Alicent stroked her cheek and her expression suddenly became sad itself.

There was so much honesty and a real hurt in her words. She had been forced into a marriage herself back then and could understand Edith's feelings, but she couldn't be soft now. Otto, her father, had been right, because they needed that connection to the other side.