33 - family behavior

Princess Helaena was now the mother of two princes and a princess

Princess Helaena was now the mother of two princes and a princess. All three children were blessed with the silver Targaryen hair and were the spitting image of their parents.

The children were perfect in the eyes of the children's mother, yet she did not see the constraints. She ignored the fact that her daughter was far too small and still wouldn't walk, just as her oldest had a hand and foot with six toes instead of five. Even weeks later, she had not found a flaw in her youngest son, or she overlooked it through her unconditional love.

Yet others saw these defects, but no one spoke up.

Edith also worried herself about the problems of the other princess' children. She did not come to wonder anyway if her unborn child also had flaws. Would it be healthy?

Secretly, they knew what the children were suffering from and what was the reason for it. Helaena and Aegon were not only married, they were also siblings.

Edith and Aemond were not siblings, but they were still both Targaryens. And as Edith thought about the relationship like this, she didn't know whether to laugh or continue to worry.

Her mother, Aruna, was the unofficial daughter of King Viserys Targaryen and Lady Tyrell of Highgarden. This made her the half-sister of Rhaenyra, Aegon, Helaena, Daeron, and thus Aemond.

Her father, Daemon Targaryen, was the brother of Viserys Targaryen and was thus the uncle of Viserys' children. This made Edith the cousin of Viserys' children.

Aemond was Edith's uncle and cousin. She hadn't really thought about it that way, because somewhere it was normal for the Targaryens, wasn't it? They had to keep their dragon blood pure so it stayed strong and they didn't lose their connection to the dragons. What was a Targaryen without a dragon? They had to stay under control or Westeros would be lost.

All the connections made her dizzy and she quickly shook off the thoughts. If King's Landing wasn't driving the young princess crazy, Edith was driving herself crazy.

She didn't know exactly how much time had passed since Prince Maelor's birth, but she was enjoying every second. Edith finally spent more time with Helaena again, and accordingly with her children.

Curiously observed every interaction between the children and their young mother. And between the children and the wet nurses. She tried to remember many hand movements. Edith wanted to be a good mother and she wished to be like her own mother - protective, loving and strong. Aruna Targaryen was a perfect mother.

"What are you thinking about, Edda?" Helaena asked her with her dreamy smile.

The two women sat in one of the many common rooms, as they often did lately. The twins were sitting on a blanket on the floor, playing with wooden figures, while their little brother slumbered in a cradle. Helaena sat on the couch holding wool and needles in her hands. Her hands were always busy and she loved to sew, crochet or embroider.