30 - Questions full of fear

The storybook romance was over faster than she had wished, and yet it had been predictable

The storybook romance was over faster than she had wished, and yet it had been predictable. Nevertheless, the sudden realization hurt and Edith was more than ever plagued by the desire to be able to go home.

It was her first heartbreak, her first separation, and now she wanted nothing more than to lie in her mother's arms and hear from her that everything would be all right again. The last hug, the last kiss on the forehead and the last kind words were far too long ago and Edith feared never again to feel her mother's warm arms around her.

After Aegon had left the room so abruptly, she had fled as well. She had not waited for a guard to take her back to her chamber, instead she had gone back alone. Better said she had run.

Even days later, her cheeks still glowed with warmth and her eyes burned with the tears she could hardly hold back when she was alone.

Edith also avoided the common dinner since then and at some point the other members of the family also stopped participating until only the queen, Aemond and Otto were sitting at the table.

Although Aemond noticed the change in his wife's feelings, especially the lack of tenderness and affection they usually shared, but he said nothing. One possibility was that he didn't care or didn't notice how she was doing right now, and the other possibility was that he knew and gave her the time she needed.

The second possibility was the least likely. Aegon would never tell Aemond about the affair - at least not with his new big plans, because he still needed his head for that.

She was ashamed of her feelings for the eldest prince.

She would just have liked to know what had made him change his mind. One day everything seemed fine and the next the princess' pregnancy was announced, after which he was a changed man.

Aemond told her that Helaena's pregnancy had already progressed, so she had been hopeful when Edith arrived in King's Landing. She could not imagine that Aegon had not known all along. Had he not even thought of his wife's feelings? Or of Edith's? So much had happened and not once was there any mention of a pregnancy.

Daeron and Aemond had not known about the secret either and, like Edith, were surprised with the news. But with this realization, Edith also understood once more why the queen was against marrying Aegon. Alicent wanted the happiness of her children, the happiness of her daughter, and feared deep grief or the loss of the child if Edith intruded on the existing marriage.

Love between them was forbidden, after all they were both married and his wife was expecting the next of his children. Another heir to the throne.... She still could not believe that Aegon had changed his mind.

If Aegon became king, then Westeros would fall. Edith loved that jerk, but Aegon was not a natural born king and never would be.

Maybe the end was better after all, and Edith could finally focus on the really important things. Now that she no longer had to fear her death because of an affair.