23 - a dangerous try

Neither of them had any reason to hide, yet Edith pulled her dark coat tighter around her body and looked around cautiously

Aegon had left a message for the family that the two were going for a walk and to buy pastries in town. Still, Edith feared that the city watch or someone from the royal family itself could be standing in front of them at any moment, dragging them back to the Red Keep.

Before they had left the Red Keep, both had grabbed their cloaks so that the two would not be immediately recognized as the prince and princess. But Aegon's silver hair made the hiding game rather difficult, and it didn't seem to bother him a bit.

He was the prince and to many, Aegon was the heir to the throne, not his older sister Rhaenyra. He would never admit it in front of Edith, but secretly he enjoyed the approval of some subjects and their awed looks. He skillfully ignored the evil glances and whispers.

Some bowed to the king's eldest son, others just looked pityingly at the young woman with him. They surely thought Edith was just another of his mistresses and not the princess and his sister-in-law.

Except for selected people, hardly anyone had caught sight of Edith from the capital. She had grown up elsewhere and even after her arrival and even after her marriage to Aemond, she had spent most of her time behind the dark walls. And so hardly anyone knew what the firstborn daughter of Prince Daemon really looked like. All that was known was that she had not inherited the silver hair and had been accepted only a few weeks ago, becoming the heiress of Dragonstone.

Arriving at the dragon pit, a dragon keeper came right up to the newcomers, but when Aegon took off his hood, the man backed away after bowing.

"Lock the doors and let no one in, keeper." Aegon ordered the older man, who had lowered his head. "Not even a dragon keeper." He added. The older man let the two inside and then locked the heavy doors again, as he was ordered to do.

Edith remembered the first time she descended into the darkness. Back then, her father and sisters had been with her and they had all shared a special moment together.

The second time she had descended alone, she had bumped into Aemond. He had been caring for a pregnant dragon and somehow it had happened that Edith had helped him.

Both of these things seemed so infinitely long ago to her, as so much had happened. But in reality, she had only been here a moon.

"What are you thinking about?" Aegon's voice echoed off the walls as he took a torch and lit it to give the two light, as the corridors were quite dark.

"About the dragons." She answered him in her soft voice. Carefully she stroked the fabric where the dragon egg was lying, which she hid under her cloak.

"Are you afraid?"

Edith shook her head at his question. She was a Targaryen, no Targaryen was afraid of dragons. They were like the kind of family you didn't have, but wished you did.