Chapter 9 - The Final Chapter

Paul went outside and got into his car. He started it up and began to drive. He made his way to William's house.

As he got closer, he began to slow down.
He saw George's car parked out front.
Paul was worried and parked his car down the street. He ran up to the front door and grabbed the handle. It was open.

He walked in and heard noise upstairs. He quietly made his way up the stairs and reached the landing. There was yelling coming from one of the rooms.

Paul held his breath and tried listening to the conversation.

"John! What did you do?!" said one.
Paul recognized the voice, it was Ringo's.

"It...it was an accident...I..." It was John. He spoke and then it went quiet.

Paul was startled when someone spoke. "I didn't agree to this. I only came to talk, I'm not any part of this. I'm leaving"

"No, wait George!" John yelled.

The door shot open and Paul stood there, eyes wide. George yelped and almost fell backwards.

"Paul?!" George practically squeaked.

He stared at them, looking at the scene. George on the floor. John and Ringo behind him. And William. Lying on the ground, motionless. Paul thought the worst.

He whimpered and looked between the three. He couldn't speak. He choked back his tears.

George stood and looked away from Paul.

"Is...is he...dead?" Paul asked. His voice almost breaking. "Did you...kill him?"
He almost didn't want to hear an answer. He didn't want to know the truth.

John tried to explain, "Look, we-"

"So he is?!" Paul asked, tears filling his eyes.

John didn't make eye contact, he only nodded in response. It made Paul's heart break. He couldn't believe it.

"Why?" he cried.

"It was an accident!" John yelled, "I didn't mean to, it just sort of happened!"

Paul closed his eyes and wiped his cheeks.

Ringo backed away from John, he walked over to George and helped him up. The two of them hiding in the corner.

Paul walked into the room. He limply pushed past John and kneeled down next to William. He wasn't breathing. It was surreal. It was as if Paul was looking at his own dead body.

Ringo and George slipped out of the room and out the door. John didn't stop them, because George was right, it wasn't their fault. It was his own.

Paul looked up at John, "Why did you do it?" he simply asked.

John stared at him and then at the body. He explained how after they dropped Paul off. John had expected that William had been home when they went to visit. That John had the feeling of William eyeing him. John told him that they came back to talk to him. To force him to leave and never come in contact with them again.

"But he refused," John said.

"And so you killed him?" Paul asked.

"No, I merely got mad. I lost control, I...I only pushed him back, but he fell. And he didn't get up. I had no intention to kill him. I didn't mean to..."

Paul looked back at William.

"We have to tell the police." Paul said.

"What? No! You can't!" John pleaded.

"I have to!" Paul cried, he stood and pushed past John. He left the room, standing in front of the stairs, he turned around.

"I'm sorry, John." Paul said, "But you did this to yourself."

And Paul left him. John shrank to the floor. He sat next to the dead body. He knew he only had one choice left.

Paul left the house and joined George and Ringo. "I'm calling the police. I'm telling them that John killed him. You two weren't apart of it. Right?"

They nodded.

The cops showed up soon after. They rushed inside. A crowd soon formed after they heard the sirens. It only became bigger when people saw that the Beatles were involved. The other three waited outside with an officer. "You're telling me John Lennon killed someone?"

"Yes sir." Paul said. The other two could only nod.

"Sir, we found the bodies!" One man yelled to the chief. "And I can't believe what I'm seeing!"

Paramedics rushed in and came out with William's body. "Sir...I need you to come over here."

The chief pardoned himself from the boys and walked over to the medic. Paul watched as they talked and as the chief made his way back, Paul feared the worst.

"Excuse me, but he looks just like Paul McCartney, are you not Paul?"

"No sir, I am."

The chief nodded and crossed his arms.

"Sir, we've got another one!" Another medic said. "You might want to see this..."

The chief told them to stay and he walked into the building. Paul became nervous. A few minutes later, the chief came back.
"I have some sad news," he whispered to them, "It seems that John was also found dead. He..." the man took a moment, "He seems to have hanged himself."

Paul went white, he couldn't believe it.

The message soon spread around the crowd. When John's body was pulled out of the house, crying and sobbing was all that could be heard.

Paul remembered seeing his best friend from a distance. His dead body, limp as they carried him to the ambulance. Then they took him. They drove away.

Just like that, Paul's two loves were gone. John and William. Both gone.

The world felt lonely after that. Rumors spread. Letters were sent. Paul didn't answer them, didn't even look inside. Because deep down, he knew it was his fault.

Paul had kept William in their lives. Paul allowed for John to become angry. Paul allowed for John to kill him. Paul allowed for John to kill himself.

Paul felt numb. He never felt whole again. In fact, he didn't feel like himself. Throughout the whole mess, he felt wrong.

Looking into the mirror, Paul studied himself. Why did he feel different? Why was he feeling so wrong. He ran his fingers through his hair. Then he froze. His heart stopped. He stood in horror as he looked himself straight in the eye.

And then he remembered. He remembered everything. Being chosen by a group of doctors from another hospital. He became the new Paul McCartney. The real Paul McCartney had died in the car crash. The real Paul had been buried.

He had never been the real Paul McCartney. He had always been himself. Then, he remembered his real name.

Phil Ackrill

He slowly took out his contact lenses, seeing his blue eyes in the mirror. He chuckled. No one had noticed and they had all believed him.

And now, John Lennon was dead. The only person to truly suspect him. And William, the original fake, he was gone.

Phil had the whole future of the Beatles in his hands. And it wasn't going to be pretty.

THE END

--
I didn't know what I was writing basically throughout the whole story. I apologize for taking so long with these last two chapters.