Chapter 11

I'm bending it over
You're my four-leaf clover
I'm so in love, so in love
There's no one above, up above
Forever's a long time, yes

- 'Japanese Denim' by Daniel Caesar

Neteyam was holding Ao'nung's braid roughly as they stomped toward Jake. Aliyah briefly glanced at Kiri sitting with her feet in the water, and it looked as if she needed someone to talk to. She made a mental note to talk to Kiri later, but she had to deal with their current situation and make sure Lo'ak was safe. Neteyam pushed Ao'nung, "Tell him what you told me!"
When Ao'nung didn't immediately start talking, Aliyah hissed at him, "Say it!"
Ao'nung sheepishly explained to Jake how he left Lo'ak behind outside of the reef.
Jake's eyes widened, "What? You left my son alone?" He bit the inside of his cheek, "Where is he?"
Ao'nung shrugged, "I know where we left him but he'll probably be somewhere else by now." He looked down, "I don't know a lot of people who can survive that place without being a fully trained Metkayina warrior..."
Jake's fist landed on the wall, his mind desperately seeking solutions.
Aliyah stepped forward, "We can go look for him. We will find him!"
Jake shook his head at the girl, "No, it's too dangerous, you have to stay here." His eyes glanced between her and Neteyam, "Stay here. That's an order."
Neteyam nodded, "Yes, sir." He pulled Aliyah's arm, but she didn't move, "Please, Jake. Let us help! We can't leave him to die!"
Jake pointed a finger at her, "I'm not leaving him to die! I'm going out to find him, but I can't put your lives in danger as well." He placed his hands on her shoulders, "Please, Aliyah. Don't fight this, you know we will do everything to find him." Tears shined in her eyes, threatening to spill over. She bit her lip softly and nodded, now speaking in a softer voice, "Okay. Please find him. He's too young to be alone out there." She always felt very protective over Lo'ak, seeing him as a little brother who she wanted to help find his way in his life.

Just as Jake was preparing to leave, they heard a voice, "The sully boy has been found! We found him!" Their heads quickly turned around to see Lo'ak approaching the worried group. Jake immediately rushed over, inspecting Lo'ak for injuries, "Let's have a look at you." He quickly turned to the others, "He's fine, he's fine. Just a few scratches." Although he was acting like he was assuring everyone else, it seemed as though he was mainly mumbling to himself.
Aliyah pushed her way through the crowd to give Lo'ak a quick hug, "Lo'ak! You're okay!" She placed her hands on his shoulders, looking intensely into his eyes and bringing her voice to a low whisper only he could hear, "We will make Ao'nung pay for this."
Lo'ak brushed her off, "No, Ali. It's okay, I'm okay."

Neytiri had now arrived, worry written all over her face. After making sure Lo'ak was safe and healthy, she snarled at him, "I pray for the strength that I will not pluck the eyeballs out of my youngest son!" She hissed as she faked scratching out his eyes, which Lo'ak evaded with a numb look on his face.
Tonowari interrupted, "No! My son knows better than to take him outside the reef." He pushed Ao'nung down to his knees, "The blame is his."
Jake accepted this solution, as he tried to diffuse the situation, "Okay, let's go."

Suddenly, Lo'ak protested, "No. It's not Ao'nung's fault. It was my idea. Ao'nung tried to talk me out of it."
Neteyam's and Aliyah's brows furrowed as they shared a confused look. They knew for sure it was Ao'nung's fault, because he came to gloat in their faces about it. Why did Lo'ak take the blame?
A silence fell, and the family started leaving the commotion.
Lo'ak turned to his father, "Dad, you told me to make friends with these kids. That's all I was trying to do."
Jake's voice sounded tense, "I don't want to hear about it. You have brought shame to this family."
Aliyah's ears fell flat. She did not like how Jake handled this right now. She glanced nervously at Lo'ak, who looked down at the ground defeated. He spoke in a tired voice, "Can I go now?"
Jake squinted his eyes, "Any more trouble and I'll tie a knot in your tail. You read me?"
Lo'ak answered, "Yes, sir. Lima Charlie." Aliyah saw in Neytiri's eyes that she did not totally agree with Jake's response to this situation. But she also didn't interrupt him. Lo'ak walked away from them, leaving the family behind.