Chapter 12

A little bit longer tangled up in love
I love how I wake up to you, you
The world outside can't bring me down
If all I have is here and now with you, with you
- 'A Little Bit Longer' by EASHA

Ever since their heated moment on the beach, Aliyah and Neteyam couldn't seem to keep their eyes off each other. It was like their bodies were pulled toward the other by an unknown force, which resulted in a lot of subtle touches when people weren't watching. When they sat next to each other, their arms or legs touched softly, heating up the skin where they met. This still made butterflies swarm around in Aliyah's stomach, excitement racing through her body. Their tails would often unknowingly curl around the other's limb, earning some knowing looks from Kiri. Lo'ak seemed to be quite oblivious, as he was too busy staring at Tsireya. When they were alone, which unfortunately hasn't been that often, they shared sweet kisses and allowed their bodies to be sucked into desire, letting their hands roam the other's body freely. However, they were almost always interrupted. Aliyah had trouble ending their passion so suddenly all the time, leaving her craving unrequited. Neteyam struggled as well, often getting distracted during the day by dreaming of her touch.

On a warm afternoon, the group was hanging out on the beach, listening to Lo'ak talking about his adventure from before. He spoke about being saved from danger by a tulkun, which the Metkayina clan saw as their spirit brothers and sisters.
Kiri's face lightened up as she listened to his story, "I wish I had been there! The ocean blessed you with a gift, brother." Neteyam was sitting next to Aliyah, who absently traced small circles on his knee.
Ao'nung was leaning against a tree and scoffed, "The tulkuns have not returned yet. And anyway, no tulkun is ever alone!" Neteyam scratched the braids on his head, not fully believing Lo'ak's story.
Lo'ak persisted, "This one was." He turned to Tsireya as he acted out his next words, "He had a ... a missing fin, like a stump on the left side."
Tsireya's eyes widened and her ears stood straight as she whispered, "It's Payakan!"
Aliyah's brows furrowed as she and Kiri simultaneously questioned, "Who's Payakan?"
Rotxo explained, "A young bull who went rogue! He is an outcast, alone and he has a missing fin." Aliyah gasped in surprise, maybe Lo'ak wasn't as safe with this tulkun as he thought.
Tsireya's voice sounded worried as she locked eyes with Lo'ak, "They say he is a killer!"
Lo'ak was confused, "No, no ..."
Ao'nung chimed in, using his hands to emphasize his words, "He killed Na'vi, and other Tulkun." He paused, "Not here, but far to the south."
Lo'ak didn't give up, "No, he's no killer!"
Tsireya warned him, "Lo'ak, you're lucky to be alive."
Lo'ak took her arm as he desperately tried to convince the others, "I'm telling you guys, he saved my life! He is my friend!" Aliyah's thoughts twirled around in her head. She wanted to believe him, and he seemed very honest about this. Lo'ak turned to her, "Aliyah, you have to believe me, please."
Before she could answer, Neteyam got up with a smile on his face and placed his hands on Lo'ak's shoulders, "My baby bro! The mighty warrior who faced a killer tulkun and lived to tell about it!"
Lo'ak hissed as he shook off his older brother's hands, "You guys aren't listening!"
He got up to walk away, as Tuk's voice echoed after him, "No, Lo'ak, I'm listening!"
Kiri sighed, "Lo'ak, come back!"
Aliyah got up to her feet and softly smacked the back of Neteyam's head as she passed him, whispering to him, "Why did you do that, you skxawng!"
Neteyam rubbed his head, "What did I do wrong?" She rolled her eyes and picked up her pace to catch up with Lo'ak a bit further on the beach.

She placed a hand on his arm, "Lo'ak, please wait!"
Lo'ak sighed, "Please just let me go, Ali."
Aliyah locked eyes with him, "I'm not trying to stop you, Lo'ak. I just want to tell you that I believe you."
His ears perked up as his eyes widened in disbelief, "Really, you do?"
She nodded and smiled, "Yes, I don't see why you would lie about this, so it has to be the truth."
Her tone turned more serious, "But I still don't know if he's completely safe to be around, so please just be careful. I know you're going to see him now."
Lo'ak stammered, "How ... how did you know?" Aliyah raised an eyebrow, "Your emotions are kinda obvious. Oh, and ... sorry about Neteyam."
Lo'ak smirked, "Yeah, keep that boyfriend of yours in check next time. Or even better, put a leash on him!"
She blushed, "He's not my ..." She sighed, "Nevermind. Just, please, be safe out there. Promise me?"
Lo'ak nodded, "I promise." She gave him a quick hug and turned to walk away, before hearing Lo'ak's voice again, "And thank you for believing me, it means a lot."
She smiled softly, "Of course."
She watched him walk away toward the ocean with a worried feeling growing in her stomach.