Prologue

To all the days we were together
To all the time we were apart
Of each other's lives
Heart to heart
- 'Heart to heart' by Mac deMarco

Aliyah Te Ìu Txasu'ite was born exactly one day after Jake Sully and Neytiri's oldest son, Neteyam. This resulted in an unbreakable bond since they were children. They spent the midnights in between their birthdays together, just the two of them. This has been a tradition ever since they were 10 years old, and they wouldn't change a thing about it.

Aliyah loved her parents to death, she did not have any siblings and therefore got all the attention she wanted. They often spent their days learning how to hunt, how to cook, how to ride the different animals in the forest, and how they should be respected as treasures of Eywa as Aliyah pushed a knife through their hearts. But the most important lesson that her dad has taught her was how to be a fighter. "In battles, we tend to rush in as our adrenaline and bloodlust take over. However, the most valued warrior is not the one rushing in, but the one that comes up with a strategy." This fact was imprinted on Aliyah's brain, and it made her an amazing strategist who always looked for a creative angle to win the battle. She knew her weaknesses and had come to terms with the fact that she was not the best archer or spearsman, but she was certainly the most creative strategist among the younger Na'vi. This lead to her often thinking with her head instead of her heart, which was an asset in battle but unfortunately not in her personal life.

Aliyah's life was perfect the way it was when tragedy struck. When she was only 14 years old, both of her parents were killed in a battle against the Sky people. This destroyed her spirit and crushed her fragile heart, resulting in recurring nightmares that still occur to this day. Because of the close bond between her and Neteyam, Jake and Neytiri immediately took her in and treated her with as much love as they could spare. She was forever grateful for this generous act, but it would never replace the gaping hole in her heart left by the loss of her parents.

A little more than a year went by like this, and the pain slowly changed from a sharpened knife pursed through her aching chest to a soft numbness. Now, she often visited her parents at the Tree of Souls, telling them about her everyday activities or friends that she had made. She told them about her first solo-hunting mission, and how Neytiri taught her new techniques in archery. She told them about the walks she took with Kiri, and how they admired the wonders of Eywa together. She did not feel the same connection as Kiri did, but still took time to appreciate the beauty of the forest and the animals living in it. She explained the things she and Neteyam had to go through to make sure Lo'ak didn't get himself into trouble, but also how she knew he felt like an outcast and therefore tried to lighten the mood a lot. There was always a small proud smile on her face as she recalled the days spent playing with Tuk, who was like the little sister she never had.

But of course, most of her stories revolved around her best friend, Neteyam. How he had been there for her during her happiest and hardest moments, including the death of her parents. How he was kind and responsible around others, but playful and sometimes reckless around her. They brought out their inner child when they are around each other, and spent hours laughing, sneaking around, and tricking each other. She loved him, and he loved her, but both of them considered the other just a friend. Other Na'vi might notice the tension and romantic sparks between them, but Aliyah and Neteyam were too submerged in each other's presence to think about the possibility of being more than friends. He was her rock, her wave of peace in troubled times, and her spark of fun during sad times. That was all she needed to know.

Neteyam and Aliyah are now both 15 years old, and together they are a force to be reckoned with. But will this unbreakable bond hold its ground as dire changes are on the horizon?