Chapter 11

Karma patterns started receding back into Boruto's palm and the diamond vanished

Momoshiki is completely defeated.

Boruto coughed out more blood. His body fell forward but Naruto rushed forward and caught Boruto followed by Sasuke.

"Boruto..." Naruto was in shock.

Sasuke too, could only stare at him, unable to utter a word.

"You did well... cough... I really... love you guys... I'm...cough... I'm sorry..."

Speaking his final words, Boruto drew his last breath. His body fell limp onto Naruto's shoulder.

.....

The three Boruto clones from Neji's, Uzumaki household's and team 7's places poofed away.

It didn't take them long to conclude that something is going on and obviously they panicked.

Especially Neji, Tenten, Hinata, Himawari and Kawaki ran towards the Hokage tower to inform that Boruto is missing.

But they didn't expect the sight that was waiting for them inside the Hokage office.

In the office, Naruto was crying silently holding Boruto's bloody corpse with two holes on the chest, and Sasuke was standing there with his hand over his eyes, trying to hide his tears.

A moment of silence passed, and screams of sorrow filled the room.

Hinata and Tenten fainted. Himawari threw up, and Kawaki comforted his sister while trying to hold back his own sobs.

Neji walked towards Naruto like he's in a daze and hugged the Hokage tightly, letting him cry on his shoulder.

Neji lightly petted Boruto's blood stained yellow hair, as tears escaped his eyes as well.

"I'm sorry Boruto. You protected us, but we failed to protect you."

Kurama inside Naruto could watch in utter sorrow everything that is happening. The fox looked away from his Bolt kit's dead body as his red eyes twinkled with unshed tears.

.....

Boruto opened his eyes. The first thing that he saw was the weeping sky.

He was lying down in a soft mattress.

Confused as to why he was sleeping outside in the rain, Boruto sat up.

He then saw he wasn't alone.

Countless people, Konoha Shinobi, his family, everyone was standing in front of him wearing black.

He couldn't tell if they were crying or not because of the rain, but their faces were sad and their eyes reflected hopelessness.

Suddenly a hand appeared infront of him. He looked up to see Minato Namikaze, the fourth Hokage, offering him his hand to help him stand up.

"I'm your Grandpa, Boruto." Minato smiled kindly.

Boruto accepted Minato's hand with an awed face and stood up. That's when he saw what's going on clearly.

He was in a funeral ceremony. He looked back and saw himself...or rather his dead body lying in a coffin.

"That's right. I died." Boruto remembered.

"So you remember. I'm here to take you with me to the afterlife." Minato grinned down at his grandson.

"I understand, grandpa." Boruto nodded, still looking at the people crying for him.

Minato's eyes sparkled when he heard Boruto calling him grandpa.

Boruto turned towards his family and everyone.

"I'm sorry that I had to leave you guys so early, but this was the only way to protect you from the danger. I know that it will be tough, but please don't be sad for too long thinking about the dead. We'll meet again in the future after your deaths, so cheer up and live your life to the fullest. Live for me. I really love you guys."

Boruto smiled at the crowd, even though he knew they can't hear or see him. But still, he genuinely hoped for his words to reach his dear villagers and family, who's in pain.

"Let's go." Minato held out his hand.

"Yeah." Boruto nodded and held Minato's hand.

Hand in hand, the grandfather and grandson walked towards the golden steps that seemed to be ascending to the heavens.

Before climbing the stairs, Boruto looked back for the last time.

"I'll watch over Konoha from the heavens, so you won't be alone. Please be happy. Good bye for now. Until we meet again..."

With his final unheard words still hanging in the atmosphere, Boruto let Minato guide him to the heavens, until they disappeared into the clouds.

THE END!!