All Sales Final

The auction was an invitation-only event. Whatever criteria the organisers had for selecting their clientele was a mystery. Also, on the invitation was a warning that nothing about the auction was to be divulged - ever! - or else there would be dire consequences. But, if what Jimmy had heard was true, nobody would believe him anyway.

The guard in front of the metal door scrutinised the square of cardboard that was Jimmy's guarantee of entrance. Then, obviously satisfied, the guard grunted and opened the metal door. Jimmy crossed the threshold. There was a pang of unease, and then he was in.

It was a small, brick-lined room, barely big enough for the two-dozen chairs that had been placed in front of the stage. All but one of the chairs was occupied. In the dim light, Jimmy recognised the other attendees: all men and women who were famous in their fields. On the stage was a lectern, flanked by two anonymous women in tailored suits. Off to one side was a large, cloth-covered object.

An unassuming man stood behind the lectern. He peered at Jimmy over the top of his spectacles. "Please be seated, and we shall start."

Jimmy did as he was asked.

"Our first and only lot of the night," the auctioneer announced. One of the women stepped aside to pull the cloth away. Beneath it was a cage made of dull metal bars, inside which was an emaciated, young woman. The captive shrank away from the light, blinking; then recoiled as one of her arms touched the cage.

"A fae muse," the auctioneer continued. "Possibly related to Calliope or Euterpe. It does not matter. She is guaranteed to invigorate your spirit and inspire you to greater heights. You will be forever at your creative peak. Do we have an opening bid?"

The young woman pushed back her red hair and stared at Jimmy with green eyes. There was something in her bearing that suggested that while she may be imprisoned, her soul would be forever free. As Jimmy locked eyes with her, he felt an urge to possess her, to make her his. "One year," he said.

"One year," the auctioneer repeated. "Any advance?"

And so the auction went. Bids flew back and forth, the price slowly rising. Sometimes Jimmy dropped behind, but one look from the captured muse was enough to spur him on. His rivals dropped out, unable to match the pace, until only he was left.

"Fifty-one years," the auctioneer intoned. "Going, going ... ." He banged his hammer on the lectern. "To you, sir!"

Jimmy waited, expecting to be congratulated on his success, but the other bidders were already leaving. He turned back to the auctioneer. "How do I arrange payment?"

The auctioneer smiled, "Do not worry, sir. We knew you would be good for the fee. May I wish you a happy life." He looked back at the woman in the cage. "If not a long one."