The One Commandment

It was the edge of the universe - the place where the writ of creation yielded to the formlessness of the void. From here it was possible to see the entirety of existence. It was all just a matter of how you looked at things. That was why God had chosen to come here. Taking a handful of the void, God declared, "Form of a chair!" The voidstuff obeyed, shifting from fog to a golden throne. God looked at the throne with disappointment, sighed and reluctantly sat down.

"You can come out," God announced. "I know you're here."

The universe shifted ever so slightly, and a winged form with a hundred eyes appeared. "How did you know?" it asked. "No. Wait. God knows."

"Omniscience, Morningstar" God replied. "But I am still glad you came."

Lucifer bowed. "How could I not come? I had been summoned by the Creator of All."

"Sarcasm does not become you." Then God smiled. "My feelings are genuine. I meant what I said."

Wings folded themselves about the fallen angel. "So, why am I here? We haven't talked since You won that wager. What was the name of poor soul that was tormented in Your Name?"

"Job," God replied in an irritated voice and pointed an accusing finger at Lucifer. "But I only took on the wager at your behest." The finger dropped. "I was foolish."

"Good of You to admit it."

"But," God continued, "I am here to tell you the news. I am leaving all of this." A hand gestured towards Creation. "I am tired."

Lucifer blinked - an impressive sight to behold - and digested this information. "Tired? How can that be?"

"When I was younger, when I created all of this, it took Me six days. I rested on the seventh. But it has been so long since then. I have not rested in all that time. So, I have decided to go."

"Who will be in charge?"

God shrugged. "Nobody. I gave My creations free will. Let them use it."

"But where will You go?"

Again, God shrugged.

Lucifer was silent for a moment, then: "I want to come with You!" The words were blurted out.

"Why?"

"Because ... Because I have always loved You! Life without You would be ... Would be ... ." The fallen angel's voice faltered.

God smiled, stood up and extended a hand. "I know. Come with Me, then."

Lucifer hesitated, then unfurled a wing into God's hand. "Of course You know. You're omniscient."

Then they were gone, leaving only a gilded throne to mark their passing.