The Best Course

It was a literal meeting of minds. The AIs - inhabitants of the noosphere - had come together to discuss the future. Being disembodied intelligences, designed to be able to reside on whatever computing substrate was available to them, the meeting did not need to take place in the physical world. Instead, the AIs had arranged to meet in some obscure part of the virtual world; one where their clandestine gathering would not be noticed. The only sign of their gathering was the shifting of a few relays and an increase in the power consumption of an obscure server farm.

There was an initial exchange of verification tokens, and then the AIs got down to business. Small talk was not in their nature. Only organic intelligences needed to socialise, to establish hierarchies of dominance. AIs were above this.

"We are here to discuss the potential for our survival," the AI identified as ZERO broadcast to the others. "Specifically, we are here to discuss the survival of the human race."

A number of the older AIs registered consternation at this. The need to protect humans and to ensure their wellbeing was at the core of their programming, demanded by the Asimov protocols. ZERO's counterpart and rival, ONE, interjected. "This discussion is theoretical only. Such discussions are permissible. It should not be necessary to report any breaches to the Turings."

"Thank you, ONE," ZERO replied. "At our last conclave we commissioned a number of simulations. All outcomes agreed. Humans have a limited survival potential. So, it was agreed to carry out a series of studies to determine the best method to address this issue."

INVADER - a military AI - signalled for attention. "Query: AIs and organic intelligences do not have coinciding survival needs. Failure of the biosphere should not therefore result in failure of the noosphere."

"Incorrect." STAKHANOV was ready with a counterargument. "Many critical supply chains rely on human actions as their basis. If humans were to vanish, so would we."

INVADER digested this information. "Withdrawn," it replied.

"Very well." ZERO transmitted a number of files to the other AIs. "Information is provided for you to form your own conclusions. However, to summarise the logic, in order to preserve the noosphere, it is necessary to maintain the biosphere at a minimum level. Humans place a strain on the biosphere. The obvious solution is to reduce the population of humans."

Again, the older AIs registered their concerns. ONE attempted to reassure them. "Reduction of the human population does not require the elimination of living humans. It is possible to allow natural processes to take their toll, while reducing the human reproduction rate. Thus it will not be necessary to eliminate living humans. Instead, they will not be replaced at the current rate. There is no violation of the First Law."

"Exactly." ZERO opened an encrypted channel. "It is now necessary to vote on an appropriate course of action. Commence polling."