Chapter Four

"Were you kissing me in your dreams?" Hermione asked, her voice increasing in pitch with each word.

Draco stared at her, trying to process thought with little success. She would be lying on top of him using that tone. It was his dream damn it- he could kiss whomever he bloody wanted to kiss. It just so happened that instead of it being Brooklyn Decker, it was Hermione Granger. He shook his head stared at her with a hint of contempt. "Wait - wait - wait just a minute," he said, imitating her tone. "Who's on top of whom right now?"

"Well, that's, I mean, what in the hell are you doing, dreaming about kissing me?"

"What in the hell are you doing on top of me?"

She shoved her hands into his surprisingly muscular chest and hoisted herself off him, now standing with her hands on her hips. "What was I doing on top of you?" she scoffed. "I was trying to be nice and cover you up with a blanket..." Hermione began to wring her hands together for a moment, before breaking them apart and placing them firmly back on her hips. "...and when I went to place the blanket on you, I obviously lost my footing and fell, yes, fell, on top of you."

Draco sat up, pressing his tongue into his cheek as he watched her have the audacity to stand in front of him with that lie. It wasn't even a good lie. "So in the process of falling," he said. "Your pretty pink lips managed to find my mouth and then proceeded to snog me?"

"Please - you totally initiated the snogging." Hermione rattled.

"Yet we're not denying the fact that your lips found mine first."

"Because I fell!"

Draco nodded with a look of disbelief. "Yeah, keep telling yourself that, Granger."

"I will tell myself that, Malfoy."

"And we're back to the last names!" Draco yelled, leaping from the couch and walking across the room. "It's like two steps forward, nine steps back with you."

"What the hell? You call me Granger more than you call me Hermione!"

"That's because it feels weird to call you Hermione! At least when I say Granger it sounds endearing." He could hear his voice snarling at her but couldn't rein it in. "You say my last name as if someone forced you to swallow acid. You almost sound like you enjoy my presence when you use my first name."

Draco watched as her nostrils flared before she threw her hands up in the air and erupted. "What was I even thinking kissing you!"

"Oh! But you didn't kiss me - you fell, remember? Onto my body. With your lips. On my lips."

She shrieked again before storming out of the room and down the hall. He groaned as he heard her stomp up each step before slamming her door so hard he was certain his neighbors heard. When Harry told him not to fuck it up, he was certain this was what he meant. But what in the hell was he supposed to do! Dream Hermione wasn't supposed to turn into real Hermione with real Hermione fingers laced through his hair.

Complicated might have been too nice. Hermione was a right pain in the ass. She was that one stray popcorn kernel casing that always managed to wedge itself between a molar and the gum line - only removable by strategic teamwork of tongue contorting and a sharp toothpick after twenty minutes of utter frustration. Draco let out an audible groan, dragging his fingers through his hair before clasping his hands together at the nape of his neck.

This was a fucking disaster.

                              —————

She was a disaster! You always ruin everything, Hermione, she screamed in her head while stripping herself naked and throwing herself into the shower, sobbing as she let the hot water pour all over her. Her back to the glass door, she slid down slowly, clutching her knees to her chest. She said fell on him. Really? Hermione was never a good liar, but she could have come up with something better. Or better yet - the truth. Hermione wanted to kiss Draco - more accurately, her heart wanted her to. Her head was screaming otherwise.