Indraprastha - Chapter 31

Indraprastha

Vaishampayana continued his narration of the Mahabharata. "Oh king, after Duryodhana's marriage with Bhanumathi, Karna too married a beautiful, kind woman named Vrushali", said Vaishampayana.

"As Karna brilliantly ruled the kingdom of Anga, his father Adhiratha thought that it was time for his son to get married. Karna was also a very generous person and upon his father's advice, he would help anyone in need out of his way, even if it seemed impossible. It was this quality of Karna that bought him more fame and glory.

Vrushali was Adhiratha's friend's daughter and a good childhood friend of Karna. She would always be a guide to him in his most troubling times. Hence, they were ideal to get married.

Meanwhile, the Pandavas and Draupadi, along with my guru Rishi Veda Vyasa and Krishna had reached Khandavaprastha, as per the orders of Dhritarashtra, to start their new rule. From here on would be the rule of Yudhishthira. The place was called Khandavaprastha due to the large forest that consumed most of the area. The forest was called Khandava. It was home to some extremely exotic creatures and was nearly impossible to break down. The forest surrounded an extremely expansive barren land. The perfect place to build a magnificent capital city.

Along with my guru, the Pandavas developed the plot to build their city. With lots of hard work and labour, the city was built with sky-high walls and surrounded by a moat. The city gates resembled the expansive, outspread wings of Garuda. Armed guards were placed on the turrets along the walk. With highest security and heavily barbed pillars, large iron wheels and finest machinery, no one could even touch the city. When it finally came to building a palace for Yudhishthira, the Pandavas knew they'd need the plot of land closer to the Khandava forest. However, they were hesitant and didn't know what to do. They did not want to even think of deforesting Khandava as it is known to be home for many creatures.

Amidst the construction of the city, Krishna was also present to assist the Pandavas to transform Khandavaprastha. One such afternoon, Krishna and Arjuna, being the close friends they were, strolled around the constructed city.
They then approached the actual Khandava forest. It was then a Brahmin with a radiant face came toward them.

"I need your help desperately", said the Brahmin.

"Of course, who are you Oh pious one? And how can we be of help?", Arjuna asked.

"I have been starving for eons. No matter what I do, I am unable to quench my hunger. If you would be so kind to feed me, I may be able to satiate this burning hunger once and for all", he said.

"It is my duty to help and serve those who approach me. I shall do whatever it takes to help you", Arjuna said.

"I am Agni, the god of fire. It is natural for me to burn and devour all that I desire. However, nothing can suffice my hunger except the Khandava forest", The Brahmin said.

"However, the king of the Devas, Indra, always prevents me from consuming the forest! The Khandava forest is home to Takshaka, the king of serpents, as well as a dear friend of Indra, and his friends and family. I need you to defeat him and protect me so I can consume the forest", Agni said.

"You see, there once was a noble king named Swethakethu. He had great interest in performing yagnas and thus he conducted many yagnas continuously for several years. As a result of that, his entire kingdom was filled with smoke, and soon an enormous snake surrounded the yagna place. Because of this, the Rishis performing the yagna couldn't breathe and thus fled the place. Swethakethu however was not bothered by this and wanted to continue performing yagnas. He wished to perform a yagna was a much grander scale, a never before attempted and unmatched yagna. However, no rishi wanted to help him in this rigorous yagna that would take 12 years to complete.