Devavratha turns into Bheeshma- Chapter 2

"Oh monarch, 25 years later, Devavratha had finished his training with Bhagawan Parashurama" Vaishampayana continued his long narration of the events that led King Janamejaya's ancestors fight each other in the bloodiest war history had ever witnessed.

"He had turned into a powerful and handsome 25 year old and had mastered skills that were the best of the best. His archery skills were unbeatable and his foes would tremble to fight against him. He was also the centre of discipline. He would always act in accordance to Dharma. Seeing that her son was ready, Goddess Ganga decided to take Devavratha back to King Shantanu.

She approached her son and told him

"Oh dear son, it is time I took you to your father. Let us go to Hastinapura. The king Shantanu is none other than your father. You must stay with him and help him strengthen the kuru empire for your entire life. This is my wish" Ganga said.

"Oh mother, your wish is my command. I will definitely serve my father whole-heartedly" Devavratha said. Ganga was pleased.

She took Devavratha to the court of King Shantanu who wondered why she was here.

"Your highness, I am here to fulfill the promise I had given you 25 years ago. I have brought back our son Devavratha to you. He is now a powerful man. He has mastered archery and is deemed the best. Devavratha is now here to serve you. Please take good care of him" Ganga said as tears choked her at the last part.

King Shantanu was immensely happy on hearing Ganga's words. He immediately made his way to his son and embraced him tightly.

"I will take good care of him oh Ganga! You never break your promise. That is a quality that people like me need to learn from you" the king said.

"Oh king, I must now take your leave" she said and turned towards Devavratha.

"Son, you have to take care of your father at all costs. You must ensure his happiness and not be the reason of his sadness. God bless you my child" Ganga said.

Devavratha prostrated himself before his parents and embraced his mother goodbye. After a tearful departure, the king took Devavratha into his chamber.

"My son! You will soon be annointed crown prince of Hastinapura!" the king said with ecstasy.

In due course, Devavratha was coronated crown prince. The coronation happened with full pomp and splendour.

Devavratha took his job very seriously and would always adhere to dharma at all costs.

One day, when King Shantanu went out on his hunts, he could smell a beautiful fragrance coming from a river bank nearby. He followed that fragrance, wanting to know where it was coming from. He had never felt so curious before.

He slowly made his way to where the fragrance was most concentrated. He soon found out that the fragrance was coming from a woman. The king was left speechless when he beheld the maiden's exquisite beauty. Such beauty was considered heavenly. Her large, beautiful eyes and her flawless structure filled the king with desire. He approached the damsel with his best smile.

"Oh beautiful maiden, what is your name?" king Shantanu asked her with a gentle voice.

"Satyavati" she said.

"Your beauty has won my heart! Marry me and be my queen"

"Oh king, I am honoured but, I am the daughter of the chief of fishermen. I help my father fish and ferry people across the river. I am not worthy to be your queen"