The Dice Game - Part 4(Chapter 43)

Vaishampayana continued his recitation of the Mahabharata to King Janamejaya.

"Oh King, as Duhshasana, with his wicked smile, made his way to Draupadi to pull her garment and disrobe her, Draupadi closed her eyes and folded her hands. She then took a deep breath and said, "Govinda". She called out to Sri Krishna to protect her from this humiliation.

Meanwhile, Dwaraka was under attack by Shalwa, the king of Sauba and a close friend of Shishupala. Upon hearing the death of his friend, he became enraged and waged war on Dwaraka. Shalwa was no mean foe. He was a skilled warrior in the battlefield and possessed a supreme aircraft that could travel at supersonic speeds.

Krishna and his powerful army Narayana Sena were at the battlefield, fighting Shalwa and his vast army. The fight was tough but nothing that the all-pervading Krishna could not handle. The valour of the Narayana Sena was however tested.

As Draupadi called out "Govinda", Krishna felt it almost instantaneously. He began to feel uneasy. In a second, he knew the intensity of the situation.

Duhshasana began to pull her drape, making his attempt to disrobe her. The Pandavas hung their head low, in shame and despair.

Krishna, meanwhile, hearing Draupadi's cry, begins to unwrap the cloth that is wrapped around his finger. It was from the wound he inflicted upon himself when slaying Shishupala with his Sudarshana Chakra. Draupadi had immediately rushed to his aid and stopped the bleeding by wrapping his hand with a piece of the cloth from her saree. It was time to repay her, in her moment of dire need.

Draupadi  kept intently chanting Krishna's name as Duhshasana with his wicked smile pulled her saree. The assembly was filled with both woeful cries and the laughter of Duryodhana, Shakuni and most Kauravas; both signalling the end of the Kuru dynasty.

However, as Duhshasana pulled on Draupadi's garment to disrobe her, a new garment would appear in its place, protecting Draupadi's integrity. I'm due time, Duhshasana was puzzled and began to feel exhaustion. His determination however, did not let him stop.

The more Duhshasana pulled, garments from all directions came in to replace what was lost. It was truly a divine sight. The beholders of the act knew that this was the act of someone of supernatural capabilities; and that person was none other than Lord Krishna himself.

The Pandavas looked up in realization, tears filling their eyes. They knew their cousin had saved them yet again. Duhshasana kept pulling with all his best efforts but Draupadi's honour still remained intact. He had pulled so much of Draupadi's saree that there was soon a large heap of cloth pulled by Duhshasana; Draupadi however remained fully clothed. Every time he pulled, Krishna would replace it with new cloth.

Eventually, Duhshasana fell to the ground in exhaustion. The assembly was shocked having witnessed such a miraculous event. There was a divine light that surrounded Draupadi; symbolizing her purity.

Draupadi slowly opened her eyes and looked at the people in the assembly with fire like rage. She landed her eyes on the Pandavas who were sitting helpless while she had gone through this humiliation.

"I am no longer the wife of the Pandavas. I am no longer the daughter-in-law of the Kuru dynasty. I am death. I am the raging death of all you silent on-lookers of this horrible disgrace that was attempted on a woman! You will all pay for what has happened here!", Draupadi said in sheer anger.

"It is said that a married woman must always tie her hair and adorn it with ornaments. However, I now have no intention of ever tying my hair anymore. Not until I soak and wash my hair with the blood of this wily, wretched Duhshasana who attempted to molest me! This is my vow!", Draupadi said with vigour.