Part 6

The rest of the day went by without a hitch. It was boring, which was expected. However, the thought of Atticus and I going on a...date? No, not a date. This was simply an agreement to repay me for my medical advice. There was nothing else to it. But if that was true, then why did the thought of it circulate in my mind all day. Why was it that Atticus's voice and gentle smile floated in my thoughts constantly. I was looking forward to dinner with Atticus far more than I thought.

Maybe that was alright though. Having a friend...or maybe more...would be nice in a new town. Especially one as boring as Maycomb. But was this appropriate? He had children and had a wife and he was my patient. Was this the best idea? I wasn't sure, but I already agreed to it, so it was far too late now. I'll just go and test the waters tomorrow. You never know right?

I was home for now. I could take a bath and then go to sleep and think about everything else in the morning, and that's exactly what I did.

When I woke up in the morning; when I was dressed and already drinking coffee on my way to the office, the Finch children ran up to me. Scout asked, " Is it true? Is it true? Are you and Atticus really going on a date?" I blushed a deep red. Apparently this was spreading quickly, and now that the children knew, it would only spread faster.

" Well, Scout, I wouldn't say it's a date. It's more like a form of payment for my medical help."

" That ain't what Atticus was saying. He said he had to go on a date tonight. I just knew it was you."

I could feel my heart pounding and my face flushing and my thoughts start racing. So, he thought it was a date. It was a date. It was a date! I cleared my throat, pretending to be alright. I said, " Right, well, I suppose it is a date. In theory." Scout smiled knowingly and Jem looked a bit pouty. He started to walk away, but I was too excited to chase after him. I was sure Atticus would deal with it. Scout said, " Well then ma'am, I hope y'all have fun. I got to go catch up to Jem now!" 

She ran off as I stood there with a goofy smile on my face. I floated through the rest of my day, daydreaming and not paying much attention. Luckily there weren't any calls. I ran home the moment I was let off work and began getting ready even though I had no idea what time Atticus would be here or where we were going. Just as I was doing my hair, my phone began to ring. I ran to it and picked up.

" Hello?"

" Miss y/n?"

" Yes?"

" What time will you be ready?"

" Oh! Atticus! I mean, Mr. Finch! Umm... maybe another half hour?"

" I'll be there in half an hour then."

" Wait! Where are we going?"

" It's a surprise. Just dress nice."

" Alright then, I'll see you soon."

" See you soon, Miss y/n."

He said my name slowly, pronouncing each syllable. This man would surely be the death of me.

I finished getting dressed in a flash. I put on a soft dress with a small floral pattern on it. It reached just below my knees. I put on heels that gave me just a bit more height and sprayed perfume to walk through. I took a deep breath and right as I walked out of my room and to the door, a knock sounded. My hands got sweaty and my throat got dry as I turned the doorknob. Atticus Finch stood on the other side.

Atticus wore a black tailored suit, and his tie just so happened to match my dress. His hair was neat, the streaks of gray I had noticed before caught my eye. Somehow they made him even more charming. His glasses were off and in his hands was a bouquet of the most beautiful flowers I had ever seen. He was absolutely breathtaking. He smiled at me and my knees went a bit weak. He held out the flowers and said, " These are for you, y/n."

" Oh, so we are on a first name basis again?" I asked as I took the flowers.

" Only if you want to be."

" I'd love to, Atticus."

We just looked at each other for a moment and then I said, " Why don't you come in and wait one second while I put these in some water?" He nodded and walked in, closing the door behind him. I could smell his rich cologne floating in the air and it only made my knees weaker than before. I worried I would fall as I walked to the kitchen and filled a small vase with water. I cut off the ends of the flowers and then placed them into the vase. I left them on my kitchen counter, thinking that I would put them in my room when I got back.

" Alright, I'm ready now." 

" Good. Shall we, y/n?"

I giggled, actually giggled, as I looped my arm through his and followed him out to his car. He opened the door for me and closed it again once I was inside. We drove for a few minutes making idle chatter before we finally arrived at an expensive looking restaurant. He came around to help me out, taking my hand in his. His hand was warm and soft, not calloused from his office job, and he stroked the back of my hand with his thumb before releasing it. My heart skipped a bit at that light touch.

He led me inside and it was even more beautiful than the outside. I didn't want to think about how much money this would cost. The ceilings were high and dotted with glittering chandeliers. The floors were a deep shade of red and the tables had gold accents on top of pristine white table clothes. My mouth hung open a bit. I said, " Atticus...this is far too much."

He looked at me with the kindest and most sincere gaze I had ever seen as he said, " I'm not sure I could ever give you enough, y/n."

I didn't have words for the way I felt in that moment. All I knew was that this man and his voice, his actions, his gaze, his very being were all drawing me into somewhere I was sure I could never escape once I entered. But...I don't think I would ever want to leave anyway. 

A/N: There should only be about one or two more chapters after this guys! I hope you liked reading and the next chapter should be out soon, but I'm probably going to work on a one shot for now. <3