16

TRIGGER WARNING: mentions of abuse and suicide.

____________

"Now, Amelia. I want you to be on your best behaviour. No back-talking and keep your head down," Ethan Perks told his daughter as they sat in front of the building where all the young girls were going. All born in 2020 - same as Amelia.

"Why can't I go with Leo?"

"You know the rule. No talking," Ethan lectured for the thousandth time, "Because he is a boy. You need to learn what is expected of you as a girl."

"That's stupid," Amelia mumbled, earning another look from Ethan. Amelia knew the look well. Her eyes turned down as she gulped and nodded her head.

At the age of 6, Amelia had gained quite the attitude that Ethan's been trying to work out of her. He hated that she would talk. He hated even more when she would talk back at him.

Amelia bit the inside of her cheek as they waited. She tasted the familiar metallic taste to remind herself to stay silent.

When it was time to go in, Amelia turned to her father, hoping for some words of encouragement, but instead she frowned when all she saw was the back of her father walking away.

Amelia let out a sigh of disappointment, walking into the building where all the other girls were. A shiver went up her spine when she sat the older woman at the front. Their red face paint looked menacing to the 6 year old girl. Although, it was the black paint that scared her the most. At least the red paint showed that there were survivors.

Amelia looked around, her frown deepening when she saw each girl. All of them were already better trained then her, avoiding eyes and keeping their head low.

Except for one girl.

At the other side of the room, a small blonde looked Amelia in the eye and smiled at her. The blonde looked towards the breeder quickly before turning back to Amelia, gently nodding her head to indicate Amelia to walk towards her.

The corner of Amelia's lips turned up as she slowly made her way over to the girl, taking the seat next to her that faced the older breeders.

"You're the only one curious, too. Everyone else had their head low," The blonde whispered to Amelia.

"First time I'm not around all boys. Least here I won't get scolded or hit," The 6 year old Amelia mumbled. Her back straightened when she saw the blonde frown at her.

Wasn't it the same for everyone?

"I have my mom. Although, she doesn't like it here very much. Keeps indoors where she doesn't have to keep quiet," the blonde whispered, "She's a retired breeder. Ask Tracy if you can learn from her - Sophia Calloway - then we can hang out."

"How do you know she would let me if I ask?" Amelia whispered, "How would I even... get to ask?"

'She's friends with my mom," The blonde smiled, "She won't rat you out. Some of the girls here work together. Keep their sanity intact."

Amelia parted her lips in surprise when she heard this. She didn't realize any woman actually tried to be okay here. Amelia smirked slightly at the blonde, "I'm Andrea," The girl extended her hand discreetly, "But don't ever call me that. I prefer Andy."

"Amelia," The 6-year-old brunette shook Andy's hands with a small smile.

"Two A's. It's like it was meant to be," Andy smiled at Amelia.

"Guess so," Amelia said, unable to contain her grin, "How'd you know you could trust me? I could turn you in for talking and breaking the rules."