18

Lia woke up before Ellie did. She smiled slightly as the girl was sprawled out on the floor. Her mouth was slightly open as the tiniest bit of drool came out. Lia got up and stretched, looking outside to see it was still dark out. She checked the time and saw that it was just before she would usually meet Joel.

The girl walks over to Ellie, leaning over the girl and shaking the girl away, "Hey, Ellie. You got patrol soon," Lia whispered to the girl.

"It can wait," Ellie mumbled into the pillow as Lia chuckled. Lia shrugged, grabbing some clothes and walking over to the bathroom to get changed. When she walked back into her room, Lia snorted to herself as Ellie was once again asleep. She walked over to her closet, grabbing some clothes before kicking Ellie's leg and throwing some clothes at her, "Ow!" Ellie exclaimed, looking up at the girl with wide eyes as Lia grinned.

"Come on sleepy-head," Lia smirked at the girl who had a slightly annoyed face.

"Could have been nicer," Ellie sighed as she looked up at Lia.

When Lia turned to Ellie, she gave the girl a shy smile, "Thank you... for last night. Walking me home, staying... I hope I didn't annoy the shit out of you with the rambling."

"It's no biggie," Ellie shrugged, "I like hearing you talk."

Lia paused, feeling a slight blush creep on her neck. She turned and saw Ellie looking the other way as she scratched the back of her neck awkwardly.

Lia liked seeing Ellie flustered. Although, she didn't say anything as she just smiled at the girl. She motioned for Ellie to follow her, both the girls walking in silence to Joel's.

"You going to the dance next week?" Ellie asked.

"Mhm," Lia nodded, "First one."

"Really?"

"Yep," Lia smiled, "Sort of avoided them. Got away with it for a year, but it may be good to go. Leo's been doing good and that's what he does."

Ellie shrugs, "Doesn't mean you have to go. You can figure out your own thing, separate of Leo."

"We have our own things," Lia frowns, "Just, you know, he's sorta my second half. I've never lived a day without him and the only time we were separate-" Lia stops herself. The only time they were separated was when she was with Henry, "I'm going cause I want to."

"Good," Ellie nodded her head while clearing her throat. She stops in front of Joel's house, "I'll see you around?"

"Sure," Lia nods, "thanks again."

"Don't mention it," Ellie smiled before heading over to her place. Lia saw the girl quickly run in, grabbed her jacket and knife, then ran back out and waved towards Lia.

Lia walked up to Joel's door, knocking on it before putting her hands in her pocket and rocking back and forth. Joel sent the girl a small smile when he opened the door, "Hey, Lia. Coffee's on the table. Suns only just starting to rise."

"Perfect, thanks Joel," Lia smiled at the man before walking in and sitting on the table. Joel joined the girl as the two watched the sunrise.

~~~

Lia only heard about Christmas from the books she read and the stories Joel, Tommy and Kate told her. Now, holidays from the old world like Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving and others ones, weren't celebrated. It was an old-world thing.

Jackson has taken it upon themselves to emulate the old world as much as they could. We had power, plumbing, restaurants and were a thriving community. A real safe haven.

We also had Christmas, sorta. We just called it a holiday so anyone could celebrate what they believed in.

The community events were something that helped the community feel normal. Let everyone relax, unwind and have some fun. For this holiday, it was a dance where everyone could have fun, drink and celebrate a dead season. For anyone who wanted to celebrate.