Chapter 18- Aonung's Birthday

It had been over two months since Neteyam had returned. He has been asleep, for that many months.

Neytiri chose to not leave the pod, as she stayed by Neteyam's side most days.

Taneya and her siblings, Aonung and Tsireya, had all been practicing. From using guns, to bow and arrows, to Metkayinan knife.

Hitting targets, and making sure they are prepared for what's to come. Because they don't know when or how it will happen.

But today was not a day for them to be training.
-
"Happy Birthday" Lo'ak says to Aonung, giving him a spud.
Aonung spuds him back, "thanks."

Taneya is in the pod, as she finishes styling her hair.
Kiri walks in, and sits next to her.
"You and Aonung are both nineteen now" Kiri says.
Taneya nods. But she looks nervous.
"I can't believe we are both now nineteen" Taneya says.

As she stands up, Ronal walks in to the pod, finding Taneya with her hair done.

She hisses at Taneya.
"Don't come near my son" she says to Taneya.
Neytiri, who is sat behind Taneya and Kiri, stands up.

"Leave my daughter alone" Neytiri says and hisses at Ronal.
"You are not to see Aonung. Do you understand me child? I will not let him mate with you" Ronal says.

Kiri rolls her eyes, moving in front of Taneya.
"Leave us alone. Go" she says to Ronal.
Ronal tries to hiss at Kiri but Neytiri hisses back, "you heard my daughter. Leave us alone."

Ronal looks at them in disgust before turning away.

"Are you alright?" Neytiri asks.
Taneya nods.

"What do I do? Do I go to see Aonung. Or not?" She says looking at Kiri and Neytiri.
"Maybe today isn't a good idea. I know you wanted to see him. But it is best to stay out of trouble" Neytiri advices her daughter.
-
As Aonung is waiting to see Taneya, she does not appear.
"Is something wrong with Taneya?" Aonung asks Lo'ak.
"She was fine when I left" Lo'ak replies.

They see Kiri walking towards them.
"Kiri? Where is Taneya?" Lo'ak asks.

"Aonung. She will not come. She has been told by your mother not to see you today. Your mother knows that you want to mate. So she stopped Taneya from coming to you" Kiri explains to Aonung.

"Tell her to meet me here. Tonight" Aonung says before leaving to find his mother.
-
When Aonung walks into the pod, he finds his mother sat with another Metkayina girl in front of her.

"Ah here he is" Ronal says as she sees Aonung walking in.
"Son come, I would like for you to meet someone" Ronal says.

"Who is this?" Aonung asks as he sits down next to his mother, facing this girl.
"This is Yau'ri. She is the woman who I think is more suited for you" Ronal says.

Aonung doesn't think twice before standing up again.
"Mother! I have told you already. Taneya is the woman i want. She will be the only woman I want" Aonung leaves the pod without looking back at his mother.
The other girl follows him out.
-
"Aonung wait" the other girl calls out for him as she follows him.

Aonung turns around, "look. I do not know what my mother has said to you. But I am already in love with another woman."

"Aonung I know. I know you are in love. I am not here to come in between that. The truth is, I don't want this either. I have already been in love with someone else myself. But I can help you" She says to him.

"Help me how?" Aonung asks.
"I will tell your mother that you are staying with me tonight. You go and meet her. Spend your birthday with her. Like you promised" she replies.