CHAPTER 2

When Gale crossed the border Conifer stopped dead. "What are you doing?" he asked, clearly confused and upset. "C'mon, we're going to Birch Colony. If you tell on us, we'll already be there long before anyone can tell Birch Colony to escort us back. You can either come with us, or tell on us and lose two friends," she said, a gleam in her eye. She knew what she was doing with this threat, they were his best friends, he wouldn't give up on them so easily.

"You make things so hard! We can't be doing this!" He said angrily as he stepped into Birch Colony's territory. She ignored his anger and said cheerily, "there we go, now let's go meet them."

Very clever, little Gale. I myself would have bribed, since threats aren't really my thing. You handled this well. The spirit whispered to her. She thanked him, Thank you, Mr. Ghostly Ghoul. He sighed before going silent again.

They strode through the forest, alert for any patrols. They had no map, and were only head in. The thicker the birch trees got, the closer they knew they were getting. It was the same with Oak Colony, the thickest most ancient trees were closest to camp.

They had their internal clocks, internal comapasses and the trees to guide them. Throughout all of shapeshifter history these skills have been passed down. North was all that she knew, the camp and territory was north of Oak Colony. So if she was right, they would find the camp by dawn or afternoon.

They had never been up all night, and were growing tired easily. They had no supplies, but they knew how to hunt and gather. And Gale knew many self defense skills as a scout.

They made camp after a few hours of walking, catching a few squirrels to eat. Fern was vegetarian, being a prey animal in her shapeshift of a chipmunk. Gale and Conifer had no problem, with omnivorous shapeshifts of a fox and bear. They made a fire using two sticks, since they were without lighting stones.

This would make them more noticeable, and maybe they would be brought to the camp to explain themselves. Gale was still figuring that part out. What to say. They were teenagers, 16 and 15, without any messages or adults.

She shifted into fox form and coiled up in the tall grass, her mind whirling with anxiety and half-plans. Be still your mind, Gale. This is much simpler than you are making this. The spirit said to her.

How? Our whole mission rides on what I say! She thought, panicked. He told her calmly as if saying a poem, say you want to unite the shapeshifters, that you have come with a new perspective of the younger generation alone. The older adults will not listen, and have silenced you. That the future needs harmony with its melodies.

Her heart slowed and her mind came to a stop. Thank you, Ancient Spirit. He stayed silent, allowing for her to fall asleep. It was early dawn when Fern woke her, panicked.

"Gale, Gale, Gale! Patrol coming," she said, shaking her with anxiety in her large brown eyes. "Calm down, I'll explain. Go along with me," she said tiredly, sitting up and shifting back into human form.

She stood as they approached, putting her hands up in front of her to show no threat. Fern and Conifer did the same. It was an odd group of a moose, wolverine and a mountain lion. Clearly shapeshifters, it was a very smart way of patrolling the forest, especially if the wildlife outside of shapeshifters has been problematic.

They shifted, and a fourth person appeared almost out of nothing. A small shapeshift, even more clever. Gale thought, preparing to speak.

"Who are you, what are you doing here?" the one with the small shapeshift asked with a gentle voice. They might have a different age for adults. Gale thought, they're acting like we're still small, we must look like kids to them.