CHAPTER 24

Gale's chat with Commander Moss had been brief, explaining their goal and the war that they could already see was coming, and explaining what had happened so far, with the magic and the traitorous human. It startled Gale when Lillian blurted that she and Rock were going to get help from Birch colony; she had honestly forgotten about them while talking to Moss.

She watched their figures fade into the darkness beyond the trees and turned back to Moss. She was walking back towards Duckweed and Urchin. She kneeled beside Urchin as they were moving around his legs, feeling for where things were broken and dislocated and putting them back in place.

"Sediment! We need your help!" Moss yelled back towards the lake. A large bass leaped up and shapeshifted into a man who looked like he hadn't slept in days upon days and hadn't eaten during that time either.

Gale noticed he was twitching now and again as he worked swiftly with Duckweed. Gale came over with them, she knew nothing about herbs but still wanted to try and help. Moss was bringing various herbs out of the pockets on her jumpsuit. She had salvaged as many herbs as she could, to help the sick and injured.

"What can I do to help?" Gale asked, Sediment turned his wide eyed gaze to her and said in a quiet shaky voice; "Four sticks that can support an adult."

She nodded and headed off into the forest around them. She wandered around before giving up on finding one on the ground.

Should I even try to use fire for this? Well, I'm pretty sure I can put it out or control the flames if this fails. Let's give it a shot. She thought as she climbed up one of the birch trees.

Gale took a deep breath and let her index finger guide a thin rope of fire around the branch above her. It was no use trying to salvage the rest of it, she was going to just cut it off and use what she could. The tree caught fire and it started creeping up towards the leaves. Gale caught this and brought the flames back to the area she was trying to burn through.

She kept circling her hands around to keep the sparks and tongues of fire away from lighting the rest of the tree on fire. A bird shrieked from above her and she let her eyes flick up. A large ugly bird was in one of the branches high above her. She ignored it and set her eyes back to the fire.

It was burning through and she started to get higher above it while keeping it stable. She succeeded in getting to the branch above that one and gingerly put one leg just above where she was burning it. Sparks flew up as she put her weight on it and she threw her arms down, alarmed. The sparks were caught in mid air and she let them return to her faintly glowing hands.

Gale released a breath she didn't know she had been holding and started kicking the branch to get it loose. More sparks flew up, but she knew they would after the kick so she was ready and nimbly caught them.

At last the branch snapped off in a flurry of sparks and Gale caught onto the branch above her so she didn't fall. She swirled her legs around to gather the sparks up and dropped down to where the charred branch was. She didn't know how long it had been, so she took the branch and snapped off a few pieces that were as tall as her waist and carried them back.

Sediment's head snapped towards the sound of Gale approaching and he flinched. He was very tense and even when he realized it was her, still twitching too.

"I got the sticks! They might be warm or even hot, I had to burn it off a tree. I made sure there were no stray sparks and there will not be a forest fire, I'm sure of it," Gale said reassuringly, handing the medic the sticks. He nodded and turned his attention back to his patient.

Gale noticed he had many pieces of thick white cloth lying in his lap and he laid the sticks down in an arrangement around Duckweed's legs. He then took the cloth and started wrapping up his legs with the sticks, using a black glue and occasionally large burrs to keep it in place. At the moment the word "splint" had escaped Gale, but that's what she guessed it was.

"Thank you for your help, Gale. I can only hope his legs heal right. In the meantime he won't be able to walk, and he'll have to stay in human form so his splint will actually work," Commander Moss said after standing up and closing the pockets she had opened.

"Anytime, a good life saved is worth the effort," she didn't want to say shapeshifter, since they would still live with the humans when this is all over. As she thought again, why would the humans want to live harmoniously with us shapeshifters after we fight a war with them? After we win that war? And they definitely won't if we lose the war.

They started it when they cast us out all those years ago. They started it when they killed off River Colony. And now we're going to end it. Make them see right if their wretched dark minds can. If they can see past the fear that blinds them and see humanity in us, we are half human after all. She thought darkly.

Except it was me and River who started this, Gale. After I gave your people the power of both the animal, and the human kingdoms. I wasn't able to give every human that power before my apprentice, Dimitrios, killed me. I watched River and him fight it out until they killed each other. It was hard to watch, but I didn't know I still had some of my power in the spirit realm. Anthony whispered solemnly.

Dimitrios was and still is a very evil and powerful man. He killed me so that there would be fear and fighting among the humans and the gifted ones. He traveled to the far off land called Vastitas and gave them some shapeshifters, and also the forbidden magic. He said seriously and sternly.

Vastitas? There's other continents?! I only heard legends, I thought they weren't real! Gale thought to him.

There's a lot more out there, little Gale. But that does not concern you right now. You need rest, so when Birch Colony comes. I'll let you dream on your own tonight, you've had a long day. The spirit said kindly.

Gale shook her head and realized that Sediment and Moss were standing over a lake of listening fish and amphibians. We have new hope! Birch Colony is coming to help us rebuild and we are going to help the rest of the shapeshifters of Nemus win the war with the humans! To finally be safe and at peace, and if not, I am willing to end the human monarchy and make us the colonies of humans and shapeshifters!

The eyes of the animals gazing up at their Commander, filled with so many emotions. Fear, anger, hope, and others Gale couldn't recognize. She smiled, glad she could give hope to these people.

"And our brave champion, Gale of Oak Colony, will guide us through this war! The one thing we didn't have last time was her, and her spark will set a blaze to this old world and bring forth a new era of peace!" Moss shouted out.

Wow. She can really give a speech to hype people up. Gale thought as she was brought forward.

Gale had a brilliant idea to help them get the spark message, a literal spark. She threw her arms up and let great wings of fire spread from them. Like a mythical phoenix.

She focused as much as she could to keep the hungry tongue's of her fiery wings away from the treetops. She let her wings die out with a few sparks floating around. She let them float around until they faded, not letting them touch anything flammable.

The entire population of the lake was wide eyed and Gale shouted out; "A champion I am! I had a dream and we will accomplish this! I will never let us lose this war again, I will make sure we all have a spark, if even a small one, to fight against this evil! Me and the other uniters will leave in a few days time to find Tide Colony and Mountain Colony, then we will send out messages through Treetop Colony members to each Colony who has joined us. I promise I am willing to end this war, with the right side winning! For the good of Nemus!"

There was cheering as she struck a flaming fist into the air. She had never given a speech like that ever before, but she found she was pretty good at it. It was a good thing public speaking like this doesn't scare her very much anymore.

Very good Gale. You have many allies. I can only hope that you are willing enough to fight James, because I fear it will come to that. I have limited future seeing abilities, and while I had left you I used them in the spirit realm to see a final battle. The most likely end is that you have to kill James and the human king. I could see no further, but I just needed to warn you, that you must be willing to do this, to keep your promises to the world. I could not keep mine, and you can see where that has brought us. Anthony said in a quiet voice as Gale took a deep breath.

I'm willing, Anthony. Train me tonight, I want to have my staff by the final battle. She thought back to her mentor.